UKC

Hawkcraig, loose rock

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
OK, there's a bit of an oxymoron in the title...

Just a quick heads-up... Fish Head arete, the section just above the nice crack, above the halfway terrace: We trundled several large blocks from it tonight. This bit seemed more wobbly than usual the last time I went up it a few weeks ago. It was worse tonight. I'm not sure we cleared it all; there's an unstable few metres of earthy and hollow sounding ground.

It's easily avoided. Climb the nice crack bit, then just step left, almost onto the downclimb scramble, and then back right as you near the top of the crag.

Also, maybe think twice about gearing up under the west end of the crag if there's a party on the route above. The rock we pulled off landed by our bags.
 Elsier 17 Jun 2017
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

We had a near miss in that area of the crag a couple of weeks back.

We were packing away our bags when a climber above us knocked off a large flake on the second pitch of Cranium Crack. Luckily they were unhurt and the debris missed us. (Big smell of dynamite though)

Not sure how stable the new rock is that has been exposed so would recommend extreme caution to anyone climbing in that area (and below it as you say, as it's a popular gearing up spot) for the next wee while.
In reply to Elsier:

I think I'll avoid it for after work solos from now on then....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...