UKC

Higgar Tor Vandalized..police asking for help

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sdgreen 29 Sep 2020

Report by Derbyshire Rural Crime Team of graffiti on Higgar Tor. Police asking for help tracing perpetrators.

Who needs contacting for cleaning it off? Maybe it's aready been done...

On Derbyshire Rural Crime Teams Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/ruralcrimeteam

Plus other photos Higgar Tor

Tom Valentine 29 Sep 2020
In reply to sdgreen:

Not sure why you've earned a couple of dislikes.

Is Banksy one of us?

Post edited at 22:34
 mrphilipoldham 29 Sep 2020
In reply to Tom Valentine:

Maybe because if the police took such a dim view of all unnatural colouring of the rock then there'd be a few of our beanie wearing brethren having their collars felt  

danieleaston 30 Sep 2020

The problem with dislikes is that if you are posting bad news, I think people dislike, because they don't like the graffiti.

Lankyman 30 Sep 2020
In reply to sdgreen:

> Report by Derbyshire Rural Crime Team of graffiti on Higgar Tor. Police asking for help tracing perpetrators.

'Perpetrators'? I'm surprised that there hasn't already been a rush of defenders of the right of freedom of expression of the total tools responsible for this vandalism. I mean look at what that Simon Armitage did and what about all that chalk and polish and erosion and so on etc? If I remember correctly, there was a thread not that long ago about some twonk who'd carved an 'elephant' on a grit boulder somewhere and up popped all these defenders of the 'artist'. What about prehistoric carvings? Laughable! Get it scrubbed off immediately.

In reply to Lankyman:

Just because you can't see the artistic merit in it doesn't mean others can't.

ebdon 30 Sep 2020
In reply to sdgreen:

There seems to be a spate of this shite at the moment, I've noted new scratched graffiti on crescent arete and the start of hampers hang recently. Scratching your name crudley on a rock isn't art it's being a grade A dick. I wish these people would just F*ck off. 

Post edited at 11:27
 Rob Parsons 30 Sep 2020
In reply to Boris\'s Johnson:

There is zero artistic merit in the graffiti under discussion here.

It's art - Duchamp taught us that - but it's shit art.

Lankyman 30 Sep 2020

> Just because you can't see the artistic merit in it doesn't mean others can't.

OK - please enlighten me as to the 'merit' (especially as the tor is a SSI and the 'artists' have damaged it)? On second thoughts - don't f*cking bother.

Andy Clarke 30 Sep 2020
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> It's art - Duchamp taught us that - but it's shit art.

To be pedantic, in Duchamp's case, it was piss art:

https://sketchfetch.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/fountain.jpg

In reply to Lankyman:

Hook, line and sinker.

Lankyman 30 Sep 2020

> Hook, line and sinker.

Really. As an adult I could actually tell you were a bullsh1tter - glad to have made your day, boy.

Ridge 30 Sep 2020
In reply to ebdon:

> There seems to be a spate of this shite at the moment, I've noted new scratched graffiti on crescent arete and the start of hampers hang recently. Scratching your name crudley on a rock isn't art it's being a grade A dick. I wish these people would just F*ck off. 

Dope fiends and 'reefer madness', thats what it is...

Tom Valentine 30 Sep 2020
In reply to Rob Parsons:

If Hockney had painted something on the same piece of rock, I assume it would have had artistic merit solely because of his reputation.

Would that have made it more acceptable ?

UKC reaction to Armitage's Stanza Stones suggests not, but I'm not sure the general public feel the same way.

Tom Valentine 30 Sep 2020
In reply to Ridge:

Probably some Scousers....

Ridge 30 Sep 2020

> Probably some Scousers....

...on the way home from Longridge

Rob Parsons 30 Sep 2020

> If Hockney had painted something on the same piece of rock, I assume it would have had artistic merit solely because of his reputation.

No.

> Would that have made it more acceptable ?

And no.

OP sdgreen 30 Sep 2020

Probably disliking the graffiti. I hope so anyway. A 'dislike' doesn't make clear what they're disliking of course!

Post edited at 14:32
OP sdgreen 30 Sep 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

I hope it's removeable without damaging the rock.

OP sdgreen 30 Sep 2020
In reply to ebdon:

Scratching the rock takes it to another level. At least this is removeable?? Hopefully without damage. How do you clean something like this? Lots of removal spray needed! Don't think a pressure washer would reach..........

thepodge 30 Sep 2020
In reply to sdgreen:

Based on me being there about 3 weeks ago, Higgar tor seems to be a popular hang out for people who wear all white tracksuits, drive BMWs with tinted windows and think a good evening in the countryside involves Stella, Monster and some really tinny music on your phone. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...