UKC

Identify crag on Crib Goch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Meeker 22 Jan 2018

Hi there,

I am trying to identify what the name of the pointy slab (about a 3rd to the right) of this pic is:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d8/4d/3a/d84d3aaca03e13425466a8081e7e612b.jp...

It can be identified as the one which looks relatively smooth and clean of vegetation?

Thanks

In reply to Meeker:

That looks to be where Reade's Route (Summer) (S) goes. I remember an airy step off the pinnacle (that you can just make out) into the crack/groove above. Good route, shame about the walk-in (unless you're in to walk-ins)! 

Post edited at 14:04
 Iain Thow 22 Jan 2018
In reply to Meeker:

Yes that's Reade's Route. Thoroughly enjoyable. One quite hard move low down, then a very memorable step off the pinnacle and a nice exposed crack.

Simon Caldwell 22 Jan 2018
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Not such a big walk-in if you do it as part of a multi-crag link up, eg after Gambit Climb (S) or even Main Wall (HS 4b)

In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Funnily enough that's almost exactly what I did when I did it, although I did The Parson's Nose (D), into Gambit Climb (S), into Clogwyn y Person Arete (Grade-3), which made for a lovely day out.

That said, just because there's more climbing I'm not sure you can qualify it as being any shorter a walk-in, but I know what you mean - it gives the day out more of a mountaineering feel. 

Post edited at 14:32
 Iain Thow 22 Jan 2018

How about a route on each of the Snowdon Horseshoe Peaks?

Slanting Buttress Ridge Route (D)Shadow Ridge (VD)Gambit Climb (S) & Reade's would be a great day out. Was planning this a few years ago but wimped for weather reasons (and I'm probably too decrepit now).

alan moore 22 Jan 2018
In reply to Iain Thow:

I did it in the evening sun at the end of a reverse Snowdon Horseshoe, beginning with Avalanche/Red Wall.

I remember a great magazine article from the 80's(?) that described starting with a route on Lliwedd, then Cloggy, Cryn Las, maybe even Dinas Mot, Clogwyn Y Person and Reade's. I guess the possibilities are endless....!

TobyA 22 Jan 2018
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing: We did Crazy Pinnacle Face (Winter) (V 5) (next pinnacle on the right of Reade's) on Saturday. Easiest approach seems to be along Crib Goch ridge to the col, so we did the traverse (or at least half of it) twice in the day along with the route. Value for money! 

Have you done Reade's Route in winter Rob? It's an obvious next target for my south-of-the-border, day-trippable-from-Sheffvegas, chasing-the-very-bloody-ephemeral, winter campaign. But I'm a bit scared. I've only done one VI,6 before, and that was in the 90s when I was half my current age, and it was V,6 when we did and only went up in the next guidebook! 

ianstevens 22 Jan 2018
In reply to TobyA:

I'd second this - we came up from the pass for the same route in December and it was a slog and half.

uphillnow 25 Jan 2018

Agree much better in linked routes on a round, better balance between walking and climbing.

Seeing mention of this brought back a memory of an alpine training day in 1965. Did the Nose on the Mot, Main Wall and up to Clogwyn y Drysgol for The Ring before moving up to Reade's  Route. A quick run  down to The Pass and on to Wendy's for a big tuck in. Rushed the meal and headed back up to The Cromlech and Ivy Sepulchre. To this point the day had been pleasurable but now with a fat belly I still recall fighting not to puke as I hauled myself up the steep bit of that route. Still a great day. My partner on that day was Jim Williams from Ruthin I think.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...