UKC

Indoor climbing Onsight Vs Flash

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 captain.crimp 26 Aug 2018

Can any self respecting trad / sports climber claim to ‘Onsight’ an indoor route? 

deepsoup 26 Aug 2018
In reply to captain.crimp:

Don't see why not.  Having the competitors try to 'onsight' a route is the point of isolation at a comp.

climberchristy 26 Aug 2018

Yes. Why not? You arrive at wall. A new route has been put up. You therefore have no prior knowledge. You walk up to it, get on it and lead it successfully first go. That's onsight. Flash would imply you watched someone else on it or had some other prior knowledge.

AMorris 26 Aug 2018

I know what you mean by this question. Half the point of and onsight is that you don't really know where the holds are or how they are going to be, so you are kind of just seeing what you can do while you are up there. Indoors you can just look up and pretty much immediately see a sequence through all the luminous holds, and much of the time, you know exactly how the holds feel because you recognise them and have climbed on them before. In that sense, onsight means less indoors. But having said that, of course it does... it's indoors, we all know it doesn't count anyway eh. With this fact in mind, I really don't care what people claim to have done indoors. They could claim to have onsighted their local walls "like hubble but harder" replica with a sheep strapped to their back like Dave Birkett and they would only get a nod of vague interest.

1poundSOCKS 26 Aug 2018

> Can any self respecting trad / sports climber claim to ‘Onsight’ an indoor route? 

Feels more like a flash to me. Bit like boulders getting flashed, not onsighted.

AlanLittle 26 Aug 2018

Can anybody who refers to "sports" climbing sneer at indoor climbing?

springfall2008 26 Aug 2018

Yes, but grades can be so random indoors it doesn't mean that much. E.g. if you claim to have onsight on your first 7a but it maybe just because it was 6c or even 6b+

In reply to springfall2008:

> Yes, but grades can be so random indoors it doesn't mean that much. E.g. if you claim to have onsight on your first 7a but it maybe just because it was 6c or even 6b+

I see you've climbed at Keswick wall 

elliott92 27 Aug 2018
In reply to AMorris:

Ey? I try and see the holds and picture what they're going to feel like and see the route just as clearly outdoors on a sport or trad route as I do with indoor routes. Route reading outdoors is more important than it is indoors 

Post edited at 01:12
 petegunn 27 Aug 2018
In reply to Wide_Mouth_Frog:

Lol

Err... Yes if it's onsight.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...