UKC

Intake Quarry fixed gear condition?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tigger 21 Jun 2018

Hi folks, does anyone know what condition the pegs are in at Intake Quarry on the trad routes Big Thing Coming (E3 5c) and Abide With Me (E3 5c)? Just that if I'm pushing it I'd rather not get the crux (if) only to despair at state of pegs...

Cheers

Post edited at 17:23
In reply to Tigger:

"Abide with me" was done 14 years ago, so if the pegs are original I'd say they aren't trustworthy. In reality you can't know until you have to use one in anger. As you're concerned about this I'd just ab down and have a good look. Either that or go for it on the lead, all of which adds to the adventure. Big Thing Coming is really good.

RogerG 22 Jun 2018
In reply to Tigger:

hello Mike,

did Big thing coming last month, pegs looked ok, but good wires before/during the hard bit too.

cheers

OP Tigger 22 Jun 2018
In reply to Tigger:

Cheers guys, I'll have a look at big things and as suggested ab down the other for a quick look see

Luke90 29 Jun 2018
In reply to Tigger:

Did you ever get onto this?

I did Big Thing Coming yesterday. Great route and the pegs looked as trustworthy as old-ish pegs ever look. Which is to say, who really knows! They can be backed up with wires or small cams, though that's pretty strenuous, especially if you're stupid enough to get on it in full blazing sunshine like I did yesterday!

If you're using the new Peak Limestone South, be wary because I think the line is wrong on the topo. The line seemed obvious enough once I was on it but there's definitely a mismatch between the description and the topo. I'd go with the description because the topo line is completely blank at the top.

I think that the line for the next route left, Frank Carsington, is probably offset at the top as well but I don't know for certain having not climbed it.

OP Tigger 30 Jun 2018
In reply to Luke90:

Big things comming was great but I foegot to check the pegs on 'abide with me' when lowering off 'abrade with me' so gave ot a miss. A good wall in general though!

Luke90 30 Jun 2018
In reply to Tigger:

I like the look of several routes in that area, though I can't say Abide With Me tempts me all that much. In the picture in the guide, the rock looks alarmingly close to mud with embedded pebbles. The guidebook description also begins with something like "a classic of its type", which sounds like guidebook writer code for "infamous horror show". I was made even more suspicious by the phrase "generally well protected but the upper arete has a distinctive atmosphere"! Am I being paranoid or is the top section a chossy nightmare?

OP Tigger 01 Jul 2018
In reply to Luke90:

The rock looks chossy but it's the same band that runs through Abrade with me. Its actually quite solid and consists of densely packed fossils and feels like mega grit.

Luke90 01 Jul 2018
In reply to Tigger:

Cool, thanks for the info. Maybe I'll reconsider it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...