UKC

Irvine Butterfieild obit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 andy hunter 20 May 2009
http://www.jmt.org/news.asp?s=2&cat=About%20the%20Trust&nid=JMT-N10...

not strictly a climbing issue, i know, but i hadn't noticed any threads on this on the site and thought it deserved mention.

his high mountains book is excellent, as are his two photo books of the munros and corbetts. i heard him talk at a jmt meeting once and enjoyed it thoroughly.

a sad loss of someone committed to the mountains.

ahunter
 petestack 20 May 2009
In reply to andy hunter:
> not strictly a climbing issue, i know, but i hadn't noticed any threads on this on the site and thought it deserved mention.

Yes, you're quite right, and thanks for flagging this up here because it's the first I've heard of it.

The High Mountains is an enduring classic (surely the most inspirational single guide to the Munros, Tops and Furth!) and it's sad to hear that this great friend of wild places has left us.
In reply to petestack: I suppose that any chance of seeing the 'High Mountains' Vol2 published is now very slim indeed.

Vol1 was certainly my bible for a number of years. A sad loss.
In reply to andy hunter:

I have his 'The High Mountains' book which I think is better than the S.M.C.'s Munro book. Met him once when our club invited him to give a talk, he seemed like a very nice guy.
 hwackerhage 21 May 2009
Very sad. I met him very briefly when Tim, a friend of mine, did Schiehallion as his last Munro. His book, articles and photos are part of the Highland culture.
 Doug 21 May 2009
In reply to andy hunter: I met Irvine a few times, both when he was visiting mutual friends & at a couple of meetings when he was representing the JMT (I think). Always good company & a wealth of knowledge of the Scottish hills - wish I'd had the chance to get to know him better
 Doug 22 May 2009
In reply to andy hunter: orbituary in today's Gyardian by Ed Douglas
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/may/21/irvine-butterfield-munro-...

Didn't realise he was so old
Tim Chappell 22 May 2009
In reply to hwackerhage:
> Very sad. I met him very briefly when Tim, a friend of mine, did Schiehallion as his last Munro. His book, articles and photos are part of the Highland culture.

Yes, it was kind of weird-- Butterfield's book was a big influence in getting me Munro-bagging in the first place, and then I climb my last Munro, and there's Irvine Butterfield himself, kitted out in Munroist's tie and everything, waiting to shake my hand on the summit!

Requiescat in pace, anyway.
OP andy hunter 22 May 2009
In reply to Doug:

Thanks for posting that doug, i hadn't realised his involvement in so many other organisations here.

some guy. we should aspire to such a lifetime achievement
 petestack 23 May 2009
In reply to andy hunter:

Another good appreciation (by Kevin Howett) on the MCofS site:

http://www.mcofs.org.uk/irvinebutterfield.asp
 petestack 23 May 2009
In reply to petestack:

Just realised this one was linked from the JMT news in Andy's original post and I'd already read it the day this thread started, but it still really shows 'his involvement in so many other organisations here.'
 Simon Caldwell 29 May 2009
In reply to Nicholas Livesey:
> I suppose that any chance of seeing the 'High Mountains' Vol2 published is now very slim indeed.

All it needs is for Ken Wilson to do the decent thing...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...