UKC

Is the traditional art of top roping dying out?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 birdie num num 24 Feb 2013
Me and Mrs Num Num always enjoyed top roping Britain's great classics with the Num Num children many years ago. We could spend nearly a whole day in the summer happily falling off The Right Unconquerable with hoots of laughter and a picnic lunch. Nowadays folk get all sniffy about this for some reason and Num Num is wondering if the traditional art of top roping is giving way gradually to the attitudes of serious folk who are obsessed with sending onsight and being outraged by one of Num Num's plops at the foot of the crag. What do UCK folks think?
 wilkie14c 24 Feb 2013
In reply to birdie num num: I'm concentrating my efforts this year on top decking
annie le 24 Feb 2013
In reply to birdie num num:
I think I love you.
 Bulls Crack 24 Feb 2013

I think top-roping...or bottom roping more appropriately arf arf...is an excellent way of avoiding plops at the base of climbs...just watch out for rope stretch!
 tehmarks 24 Feb 2013

The great sport of top roping is still alive and well in SE England.
 Ciderslider 24 Feb 2013
In reply to birdie num num: Top roping a grit classic such as Right Unconquerable (and leaving num num plop plops at the bottom) - How very dare you !
 JLS 24 Feb 2013

>"UCK folks think?"

You really think there are many members of the Kosovo Liberation Army posting here?
 full stottie 24 Feb 2013
Shame on you. To think that you had small children available for use as well-jammed running protection and still you fell back on a top-rope.
In reply to annie le:
I feel the same. Love at first post. Marry me. xxxxx
 Brass Nipples 24 Feb 2013

I honk top roping, with chipping is also dying out. Nothing better than eating chips, on a top rope. Dip your hand in the greasy newspaper, eat a chip, then grab that crucial hold...
Top roping's the norm at sandstone .......
andic 25 Feb 2013

You are Enid Blyton and I claim my £5
 Baron Weasel 25 Feb 2013
In reply to Beat me to it!:
> (In reply to birdie num num)
>
> I honk top roping, with chipping is also dying out. Nothing better than eating chips, on a top rope. Dip your hand in the greasy newspaper, eat a chip, then grab that crucial hold...

It's just not the same since they stopped frying in animal fat - as in 'I can't do it because that hold is absolutely dripping...'

BW
 JimboWizbo 25 Feb 2013
In reply to birdie num num: It's making life difficult for SPA candidates. It's really hard to concentrate on equalising anchors while an angry mob sticks pitchforks in your bum
 The Lemming 25 Feb 2013

Apart from the plops bit, I'm with you all the way. Nowt wrong with top-roping as an activity in its own right. I'd quite happily set up a rope on a route way beyond my grade to have a play.

Doing a poo is bad, top-roping is fine and dandy, provided there is no dry-tooling involved.
In reply to The Lemming:
> (In reply to birdie num num)

> Doing a poo is bad,

-- particularly when top roping. Your belayer may not appreciate it, particularly when not wearing a helmet.
 Baron Weasel 25 Feb 2013
In reply to Lord of Starkness:
> (In reply to The Lemming)
> [...]
>
> [...]
>
> -- particularly when top roping. Your belayer may not appreciate it, particularly when not wearing a helmet.

vimeo.com/13831211

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...