UKC

Is there an East/North facing crag near Stanage

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 geoffwhite 29 May 2020

Hi, I'm seeking some advice from Peak District gurus....

We were climbing Stanage yesterday and it was roasting - lovely, but too hot to really do much!

I was hunting round for a nearby alternative crag that faces East or North, where the sun might be less fierce, but I came up blank.

Does anyone know of any options please?

Any hints greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

mark20 29 May 2020
In reply to geoffwhite:

There are not many East facing grit crags in the Peak unfortunately. The most obvious are Ramshaw and Laddow but neither are that close to Stanage. Obviously there are lots of other North facing crags in Longdendale/Chew that are shady until mid/late afternoon. 

Burbage South is the closest north facing crag to Stanage and shady until mid-late afternoon. 

Plenty of limestone options, Staden for trad, plenty of others for sport and bouldering. 

tjdodd 29 May 2020
In reply to geoffwhite:

Higgar Tor, Carl Wark, Burbage South

OP geoffwhite 29 May 2020

Ah, Burbage South might do it - and it's nice and close to the Fox House Inn!

ChrisBrooke 29 May 2020
In reply to tjdodd:

And Burbage West if you fancy some bouldering.

ianstevens 29 May 2020
In reply to geoffwhite:

Which is very much not open in any form at the minute sadly, even for takeaways - even the car park is blocked off (with associated cars everywhere).

In reply to geoffwhite:

Those mentioned above.

Also Millstone Edge bays but they tend to be quite hard routes especially in the northern-most one. The northern-most section of Gardom's Edge is shady until late in the day and has tree cover. Chatsworth Edge also only gets late afternoon sun. If you are prepared to walk then Shining Clough is excellent and will be in condition this weekend.

Alan

deacondeacon 29 May 2020
In reply to geoffwhite:

Ive been to the Far left end of Stanage last two nights and it's been lovely. Thursday was even a bit chilly in the breeze. Once you get past Crow Chin the edge changes direction.

Carl Wark and Burbage West are great, if a little short. But really it's time to admit defeat and get on the Lime, you might even like it 😁

planetmarshall 29 May 2020
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

> If you are prepared to walk then Shining Clough is excellent and will be in condition this weekend.

I expect many people will have the same idea, especially at the weekend. There are a few alternatives to the weir parking visible on the OS map nearby.

Post edited at 10:16
 Bulls Crack 29 May 2020
In reply to mark20:

That's eroded anticlines for you 

Post edited at 12:43
 LakesWinter 29 May 2020
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

Laddow is in good condition right now and plenty of lines got done last weekend and got cleaned too

Arcturus 30 May 2020
In reply to geoffwhite:

Bell Hagg. Not very high but some nice routes .

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...