UKC

Is this safe?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FreshSlate 14 Nov 2012
Passed a few bolts like this the other day, the second took the picture!

http://s12.postimage.org/bw4ug7gy5/bolt2.jpg
 andyb211 14 Nov 2012
In reply to FreshSlate: completely 100% safe, just don't fall on it!!!! or load it in any way bshape or form, numpty post!
 jon 14 Nov 2012
In reply to FreshSlate:

I think they're called Star Dryvins or something like that. Their strength seems to vary a lot. Better than nothing, though. Where was it?
 Jonathan Emett 14 Nov 2012
In reply to FreshSlate:
I've clipped worse - but not fallen on them.

Thanks to jon for the info.

andyb211, wtf? The OP was a reasonable question.
 jkarran 14 Nov 2012
In reply to FreshSlate:

Maybe.
 andyb211 14 Nov 2012
In reply to Jonathan Emett: WTF! What do you mean wtf Look at the F'ing picture! Its about as safe as asda smart price condoms!!!! OP should get back under his bridge with 0/10 for that one.
 tony 15 Nov 2012
In reply to jon:

The American Safe Climbing Association? I'm surprised that ever got off the ground.
 metal arms 15 Nov 2012
In reply to andyb211:
> (In reply to Jonathan Emett) WTF! What do you mean wtf Look at the F'ing picture!

I wish my eyesight was as good as yours to be able to tell that it is a sleeve and nail bolt, with a low shear strength from the picture.

The OP was entirely reasonable, I'd have asked what type of bolt it was if I'd encountered it.
 Alun 15 Nov 2012
In reply to andyb211:
It was absolutely not a numpty post by the OP, not everybody has your vast experience and flawless judgement to count on.

For the record, I wouldn't trust that bolt very much either, but I have rested (very gingerly) on much worse than it (according to appearances) in the past.
 climber david 15 Nov 2012
In reply to FreshSlate:

is it just me or does it look as if it has a crack in the top right around the bolt hole as well?
 mariechen 15 Nov 2012
In reply to climber david:

Yeah, I thought that too...
tommycoopersghost 15 Nov 2012
No! It'll make you go blind!
 jimtitt 16 Nov 2012
In reply to tony:
> (In reply to jon)
> [...]
>
> The American Safe Climbing Association? I'm surprised that ever got off the ground.

An active and progressive organisation that has done a huge amount to replace all the dodgy rubbish the Americans have placed over the years, including the somewhat questionable StarDrives that are illustrated.
It´s their annual congress this weekend which is why I´m posting from a motel in Las Vegas. There is more going on than you probably realise in the world of bolting!
 jon 16 Nov 2012
In reply to tony:

I'd echo what Jim has said. ASCA sponsors bolt replacement strictly on a bolt for bolt basis. As far as possible the old bolts are removed and the original holes drilled out and re-used. Out of interest, take a look at some of Clint Cummins SuperTopo threads on the subject. Two I can think of detail the re-bolting of the Yosemite routes Hall of Mirrors on the Apron and another long route on Middle Cathedral - maybe Space Babble? He documents with photos the removal and replacement of each bolt. As it's Yosemite, all the drilling has to be done by hand. Next time you clip any bolts in yosemite, look out for the ASCA stamp on the hanger.
 krikoman 16 Nov 2012
In reply to FreshSlate: Only if you intend using it for a hanging belay with a party of 3 or more, otherwise I'd stear well clear.
 jon 16 Nov 2012
In reply to jon:

Here, look at this: http://www.supertopo.com/tr/Hall-of-Mirrors-rebolting-October-30-2011/t1124... As far as I remember, this trip report just deals with the intial/part re-bolting, ie replacing one of the bolts on each belay thus making the anchors safe for the second and final round. Given a power drill, of course, (banned in the park) they'd have been able to easily complete this in a day.
 jon 16 Nov 2012
In reply to jon:

And here's the Space Babble one. Just take a look at the old bolts that he's taking out. Having belayed off these things in the past, I find the photos quite sobering.

http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.php?topic_id=617625&msg=617625...
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 16 Nov 2012
In reply to jon:

That's a great job those guys are doing.

The approach to Hall of Mirrors looked a right gripper!

Chris

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...