UKC

italian hitch query

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 david100 29 Oct 2012
So I have been practising using an italian hitch at home. I have got the hang of paying out and locking off. What I dont get is that when I try to pull slack through the knot reverses. So the question is how do I pull through without the knot reversing?
 WJV0912 29 Oct 2012
In reply to david100:

Not really sure you can, just take in enough slack and if you need to, reverse the knot again.
Is the knot reversing causing you a problem?
 Cameron94 29 Oct 2012
In reply to david100: It will flip around regardless of what you do but as it locks off from any oriantation it doesn't matter really.
 Caralynh 29 Oct 2012
In reply to david100:

Errm, it's supposed to reverse and counter-reverse depending on whether you're taking in or locking off. If you're worried, fill a rucksack with heavy stuff and practise to see if it locks off (it will).
 Andy Say 29 Oct 2012
In reply to david100:
You don't. It reverses. That is life!
OP david100 29 Oct 2012
In reply to Cameron94: thanks for the info folks. It seems that I am doing it right.
 Landy_Dom 30 Oct 2012
In reply to david100:

Seeing the knot reverse when pulled in either direction is one check i use to check it is tied correctly.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 30 Oct 2012
In reply to several:

Of course it isn't a knot, it is a hitch, hence the name. But you all knew that!

Chris
Removed User 01 Nov 2012
In reply to david100:

Like the others have said, it is supposed to reverse. However, use a HMS Karabiner for a slick reverse of the knot.
 jkarran 01 Nov 2012
In reply to david100:

Just let it reverse, that's normal.
jk
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 01 Nov 2012
In reply to david100:

Be aware of the need to keep the rope well away from the screw on the crab, it can be very efficient at undoing it when running through!

Chris
 EeeByGum 01 Nov 2012
In reply to david100: There is nothing wrong with the knot reversing. The point is that the knot continues to work. The thing you have to remember though is that where as the lock off position when using a belay device is by your side i.e. pulling the non-live rope back, using an Italian hitch, the lock off position is held by holding the non-live rope parallel to the the live rope i.e. pushing it forward.

Have used this knot in a number of situations and generally speaking it is very useful and handy to have in your armoury. The only major downside to it is that it twists your ropes really badly.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...