UKC

John Redhead..New article.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Seldom Seen Slim 23 Jun 2013
'A women’s climbing group objected to my comment on Twitter that muscled women athletes are not at all feminine and are just ‘women competing for death, illness, decline and warring factions - all the fine attributes of the male preserve’.'

Interesting stuff from JR on Myths, woman climbers and why climbing clubs suck!

http://footlesscrow.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/perillos-here-be-dragons.html
 Chris_Mellor 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Seldom Seen Slim: Interesting is one way of describing it. I couldn't finish Colonists Out. I tried again and again but the pages fell out of the badly-bound book like the logic from Redhead's arguments. Jeez, his climbs speak to me but his words; arghhhh; they're drivel.
In reply to Chris_Mellor: You must have had a dodgy copy, mine is perfect. He's one of the most inpirational climbers there's ever been, and his art is tough stuff too. If you don't like to be challenged or questioned on your motives then you'll probably struggle to get what he says.
Seldom Seen Slim 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Chris_Mellor:

"his climbs speak to me but his words; arghhhh; they're drivel.'

I dunno...Brian Trevelyan gives it-Colonists Out- a good review on the same site and this linked reviewer calls it 'a cracking Book' I suppose it's all a question of personal taste.

http://openmindimages.wordpress.com/2013/01/16/colonists-out-by-john-redhea...
 David Alcock 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Seldom Seen Slim: I thoroughly enjoyed Colonists Out. Yes, it's a rant, but it contains some real gems.
 Sean Kelly 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Seldom Seen Slim: Don't believe everything you read...!
 Goucho 23 Jun 2013
In reply to David Alcock: JR is a brilliant and inspirational climber, but unfortunately, his writing doesn't measure up as well.

Complex prose and word play only works if you've got the wit and intellect to deliver it, unfortunately Redhead is no Ed Drummond and it just comes over as pretentious bollocks.
 jon 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Goucho:

Yeah, I was just going to say pretentious, but you put it far better than me!
 Bulls Crack 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Goucho:

>
> Complex prose and word play only works if you've got the wit and intellect to deliver it, unfortunately Redhead is no Ed Drummond and it just comes over as pretentious bollocks.

I'm not so sure about the pretentious...
 paul mitchell 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Seldom Seen Slim: Climbing needs organised competition like grit needs bolts.Rock on Mr Redhead.
 David Alcock 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Goucho: Yes, I lamented when I had to sell my lovely Ed Drummond to cover a tenth of my week's rent. He was/is a good florid writer. And inspirational even now to me in my forties.

Redhead is a different kettle of inspiration. He could write well if he cared to, but he still communicates. These days I value that more than prosy poise.

Anyway. I was a climbing teen at the two Johnny time, so I make no apologies for personal bias.

Atb D
 Rob Parsons 23 Jun 2013
In reply to paul mitchell:

> Climbing needs organised competition like grit needs bolts.

I'd certainly agree with that - but is that what he's saying here? I just couldn't figure it out.

(I also had no idea what the 'Colonists Out' reference was. But from postings here, now gather it's the name of his book. How are we supposed to know just by reading the referenced blog? Is this whole thing some kind of treasure hunt?)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...