UKC

Jordan Buys, not bad for a part timer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GrahamD 10 May 2013
In reply to Gene00:

Not bad at all. I remember reading an article in one of the rags a few years ago listing the very few new non full time climbers that were able to hold down a job and climb 8a !
 Adam Lincoln 10 May 2013
In reply to GrahamD:
> (In reply to Gene00)
>
> Not bad at all. I remember reading an article in one of the rags a few years ago listing the very few new non full time climbers that were able to hold down a job and climb 8a !

You should rephrase that to 8b+. As there are hundreds and hundreds that climb 8a with jobs now.

Tall Clare 10 May 2013
In reply to Adam Lincoln:
> (In reply to GrahamD)
> [...]
>
> You should rephrase that to 8b+. As there are hundreds and hundreds that climb 8a with jobs now.

I think Graham's point is that it was a few years ago, when 8a climbers were a rarer breed.
 GrahamD 10 May 2013
In reply to Adam Lincoln:

Its a "how times move on" observation. There was loads of speculation on what *might* be possible on a full time job but I don't think 9a figured. In fact I'm certain 9a didn't exist.
 Enty 10 May 2013
In reply to Gene00:

Unjustified 8C at Malham - climbed by full time GP Tony Mitchell in 1993.

E
In reply to Enty:
> (In reply to Gene00)
>
> Unjustified 8C at Malham - climbed by full time GP Tony Mitchell in 1993.
>
> E

He's the art collector gagder isn't he? Read about him in the power of climbing the other day. What an ace book. Who would be in the 2013 edition?
In reply to GrahamD:
> (In reply to Gene00)
>
> Not bad at all. I remember reading an article in one of the rags a few years ago listing the very few new non full time climbers that were able to hold down a job and climb 8a !

Quite a few years ago, I'd have thought.

jcm
 Enty 10 May 2013
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

I haven't seen him for about 15 years. He used to live in Accrington. He also did the full traverse at Longridge about the same time I think.

E
 Michael Ryan 10 May 2013
In reply to Enty:

There are probably hundreds of examples of climbers in the UK who work full-time (not sponsored) and who climb 8a - to 8c.

There are in fact very few professional climbers in the UK who just get paid to climb: even Steve Mac's bread and butter is route setting at climbing walls.
 Tyler 10 May 2013

No, that's Jon Hart, although both were in PoC. TM is a doctor.

john yates 10 May 2013
In reply to Michael Ryan - UKC and UKH: Tony is not the art dealer/GP. That is john hart, peak district activist who put up a number of very hard new routes on both grit and limestone - including a UK 7a at Curbar which might be unrepeated, and too many to mention eights at cheedale..amazing that john runs a busy practice, has a family, trained like a demon, and performs brilliantly on rock..
In reply to Tyler:

The really incredible achievement is JH combining his climbing with his goalkeeping career.

jcm
In reply to Tyler:
> (In reply to TRip)
>
> No, that's Jon Hart, although both were in PoC. TM is a doctor.

They're both Doctors. Just checked.
 Michael Ryan 10 May 2013
In reply to john yates:
> (In reply to Michael Ryan - UKC and UKH) Tony is not the art dealer/GP.

I never said he was John!
 jonathandavey 10 May 2013
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide: Tony Mitchell now residing (or working at least) in Tod.

http://www.physiotherapies.co.uk/our-team/101
 Enty 10 May 2013
In reply to Michael Ryan - UKC and UKH:
> (In reply to Enty)
>
> There are probably hundreds of examples of climbers in the UK who work full-time (not sponsored) and who climb 8a - to 8c.
>
>

8a yes but I bet there weren't that many people with full time jobs climbing 8C 20 years ago.

E
 Michael Ryan 10 May 2013
In reply to Enty:
> (In reply to Michael Ryan - UKC and UKH)
> [...]
>
> 8a yes but I bet there weren't that many people with full time jobs climbing 8C 20 years ago.

....or even no time jobs ; o )
 Tyler 10 May 2013

> They're both Doctors. Just checked.

Yes but only one of them is an art dealer, which is the question you asked.
 Kemics 10 May 2013
In reply to Gene00:

amazing to think what you can achieve being a 'weekend warrior'. i.e train in the week. CRUSH at the weekend.

time to amp the training!
 Fraser 10 May 2013
In reply to Michael Ryan - UKC and UKH:

> There are probably hundreds of examples of climbers in the UK who are still at school (not sponsored) and who climb 8a - to 8c.

Fixed that.

Well done JB incidentally.

Mike Highbury 10 May 2013
In reply to Tyler:
> (In reply to TRip)
>
> [...]
>
> Yes but only one of them is an art dealer, which is the question you asked.

The gallery on Upper Street closed several months ago.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...