UKC

Kalymnos mosquitos

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GridNorth 24 Sep 2013
I'm off to Kalymnos in October. Last time I went there at that time of year I was bitten badly by mosquitos mostly I think while I slept. Does anyone have any good prevention tips. What are these plug-in gizmos like? I'm not keen on wearing grasy sun tan lotion all day and then going to bed with greasy insect repellent on. Has anyone any experience of Avon Skin So Soft Dry Body Spray? I've heard that works quite well and at least I'll smell nice.
 Morgan Woods 24 Sep 2013
In reply to GridNorth:

silk inner sheet works well if it's hot.
 Morgan Woods 24 Sep 2013
In reply to GridNorth:

those green coil things seem to work ok too....can be bought in the shops there i think.
 balmybaldwin 24 Sep 2013
In reply to GridNorth:

You can get pretty cheap mosi nets these days from boots that mean you don't have to put anything on
 ChrisJD 24 Sep 2013
In reply to GridNorth:

I remember getting fully munched the first night (in October many years ago). Bought one of the those plugins seemed to work well - and keeping the windows shut at night
 FreshSlate 24 Sep 2013
In reply to GridNorth:
>

Hey got back from a 3 week trip from kalymnos like a week ago. If it's windy they're not as bad, didn't use the the plugins we bought as wanted to keep the windows shut at night. And during the day, we were out...

Get a room with air con (though we used ours less and less towards to end of the trip), keep the doors and windows shut as much as possible especially around dawn and dusk as that's when they're most active. They bite you when you're asleep.

The only way I found to go completely bite free, is to kill every single one of them in the apartment before bed. My gf spotted them I squished them. As long as you're quick in and out at night there shouldn't be too many. Most we got was about 12 but usually theres 2-5. One single mosquito may bite you 1-4 times in a row looking for the blood, so its important to look everywhere. They like to rest of walls, ceilings, curtains, tiles. They only really fly when they're coming for you, or you disturb them.
 keith sanders 26 Sep 2013
In reply to GridNorth:
Gin and Tonic works well, have a good trip,
 Trangia 26 Sep 2013
In reply to GridNorth:

Assuming you've got a room with mossie screens on the windows keep the door closed during the day then an hour before you go to bed close the windows and doors and spray liberally around the room with mossie killer. Go out firmly shutting the door. When you go to bed the buggers will all be dead, keep the door closed, and re-open the windows for ventilation - the screens will keep them out. This works fine.

If you don't have mossie screens. I find smearing Jungle Juice over your head, face (don't forget your eyelids and inside your ears and nostrils) works well so long as you keep the rest of your body under the sheet with no protruding arms or feet.

As has been said aircon is good, as are fans turned up high and directed at your face.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 26 Sep 2013
In reply to GridNorth:

Good advice re spraying the room a (curtains and under the bed in partic) keeping the windows closed and using the aircon. We have been half a dozen times and have never been bitten by being meticulous, friends have been chewed to pieces.
Another top-tip, when you go out for a meal, spray your feet and legs, the little sods lurk under the table and eat the same time as you do!

Chris
 Robert Durran 26 Sep 2013
In reply to GridNorth:
> What are these plug-in gizmos like?

I bought one there. It worked perfectly - nothing else needed.
Andl 26 Sep 2013
In reply to GridNorth: Not sure how effective Avon SsS is in discouraging mosquitoes, I've found it certainly is effective against midges. I don't like usual chemical-based repellants and so have adopted the mosquito watch approach once the windows are shut. Check all the walls and ceilings in particular. However on more than one occasion we were sure it was OK but still got bitten. Then I worked out that they were coming in through the ventilation in the shower...
OP GridNorth 26 Sep 2013
In reply to GridNorth: Thanks for all the advice. I'll probably end up doing a bit of everything.
Helen Heanes 26 Sep 2013
In reply to GridNorth:

I agree with Daren the plug in green gizmos where you insert a tablet work well. I think they come with 10 tablets. I now take the gizmo home after the trip and the next year just buy new tablets.

Otherwise walking around I use a deet based roll on replellant

Have a good trip
Helen

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...