UKC

Lake District Bouldering recomendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rich2002 23 Jul 2019

Planning to head up to the Lake district for 5 days in August. Looking for must do recomedations on the bouldering front, Looking at areas that can keep you busy ofr a day in the usual punter grades 5 to 7a.  Due to having the dog Trad is mostly out although single pitch could work. Also any low level scrambles that a dog could mananage (small lab so pretty agile). Plus any advice on camping, will have the van and plan to do a couple of nights wild parking so to speak but fancy a couple showers so any good cheapish campsites would also be helpful.

Thanks in advance

Rich  

Johnhi 23 Jul 2019
In reply to Rich2002

Outside the national park, but Saint bees head north is gorgeous on a nice day, also some sport climbing on the crags behind.  The main descent to the boulders is a little steep (some fixed rope) which may be a faff with a dog, not sure about the descent further north.

Carrock fell is also great, if hard on the skin!  But it can get a little midgey so you'd want a day with a nice breeze for a visit.

petegunn 23 Jul 2019
In reply to Rich2002:

+1 for St.Bees (though not actually at St.Bees, from St. Bees head to Sandwith).

We have taken the dog down the roped descent but in a dog harness. There is an easier descent but with lots of boulder hoping to get to the main area.

youtube.com/watch?v=yHX3nDkUXKE&

Birks 23 Jul 2019
In reply to petegunn:

Also agree with St Bees but recommend on a cool day. A hot day there feels like you're bouldering in the middle of the sun.

petegunn 23 Jul 2019
In reply to Birks:

I have very sweaty skin and always find I can still climb to a reasonable standard at St. Bees even in the heat, whereas I wouldn't bother going to carrock in summer temps!

Plus it can be a bit cooler by the coast even on a hot day.

geordiepie 23 Jul 2019
In reply to Rich2002:

As others have said St Bees is a must. Carrock fell is great but a bit overgrown with bracken in summer (and rife with ticks).

Langdale/Chapel stile boulders are OK for an afternoon and combined with a stop over in Langdale would give options for dog friendly scrambles (Jack's Rake etc) 

Eskdale Fisherground could be an option... loads in 5-7 range.... couple of campsites and 2 decent boozers in the valley too

OP Rich2002 24 Jul 2019
In reply to geordiepie:

Thank for the info everyone, looks like st Bees is a must and the description in the guid says the easy way down is ok and I am sure once we are down we can work our way along to any of the boulders areas.

Bring on the Lakes

OP Rich2002 24 Jul 2019
In reply to petegunn:

Keen to visit st bees for at least a day. Once down, (The easy way looks fine for the dog) how easy is the boulder hopping again for the dog. Assume once in the main area it is fine for a well controled dog to mooch around etc. Any dog tips from yourself would be great. thanks  

Si dH 24 Jul 2019
In reply to Rich2002:

The boulder hop is hard for a human carrying pads if it is at all damp, so go when it has been in the sun for a bit. I took about 30 minutes to get 200 yards along the beach because it was so slippy,  spent the next hour as a nervous wreck (no joke.) 

PS.  I have never owned a dog. 

Post edited at 21:12
 afx22 24 Jul 2019
In reply to Si dH:

As above.  I found the the so called easy way was pretty hardcore.  I preferred the middle way down, with the rope and chain, the easiest.

Amazing place to be and I loved the climbing.

LGraham 24 Jul 2019
In reply to Si dH:

Good info, I tried to find the ‘easy way’ down last time, but gave up; I won’t bother next time!

Once you’re down there the boulders are on a flat rock platform, but it does drop off into the sea. I think a dog would be fine if it isn’t too curious. The pictures in the UKC logbook give a good idea of what it’s like.  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...