UKC

Last climb 2017/First climb 2018

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TobyA 01 Jan 2018

Lets be having you then... who got out yesterday and who's going out today?

I did climb yesterday, only a couple of routes because although Stanage was, as I predicted, in the sun and relatively dry in many places, I had failed to appreciate the screaming gale that would be blowing! Simon had a go at Triplet (VS 4b) although the conditions were against this so he finished up Little John's Step (S 4b) instead. I led Verandah Pillar (HS 4b), it is only 8 mtrs, but by the top I had fingers that were completely numb and I just couldn't feel the not so positive top out moves. Much stuffing one hand at time into armpits, crotch etc. was done hanging on to the final holds of the route before a rather timid me flopped onto top. We left at about 1 pm and there were other teams still climbing so I'm not claiming last climb of 2017.

Last year I went for a jog along Stanage at about 8pm on NYE and climbed Grotto Slab (M) in my fell shoes by headtorch so that might have actually been the last climb done in the UK for that year? Did anyone do anything silly by headtorch last night?

And who is climbing today? Who got up early enough to have done the first route of 2018?

Happy New Year everyone. Happy and safe climbing in 2018.
Post edited at 10:37
 Anti-faff 01 Jan 2018
In reply to TobyA:

My other half climbed into the back garden to ralph into the leylandii first thing this morning. Must be a contender?
 BrendanO 01 Jan 2018
In reply to Anti-faff:

Climbed out of bed about 40 min ago (Mod) to make 2 cuppas and get some date loaf (me) and rehydration salts (Mrs B). We back in bed wasting our lives on the internet, tho Mrs B considering some egg-boiling.

Thanks TobyA for a nice positive post. I am inspired and will try this year, generally!
Anti-faff, we both enjoyed yr post, ta.
 67hours 01 Jan 2018
In reply to TobyA:

We went to Shepherd’s Crag on 31st and dodged all the rain and hail somehow! Climbed Little Chamonix and Chamonix. Have a great 2018 and keep the good gear reviews coming, very jealous of your Boxing Day instagram post from Helvellyn!

George
 John Kelly 01 Jan 2018
In reply to 67hours:

Missed out on 31st but managed a Middlefell today, bit damp
In reply to TobyA:

Managed 7 solos @ Burbage North on New Years Eve - necessary to complete the 1000 pitches for 2017. Cold, windy & damp, but still fun for an hour
 Dandan 01 Jan 2018
In reply to TobyA:
El Último Poeta (7b) was the last thing yesterday and then after a very restrained evening, we started with Flor de Nit (6a) this afternoon.

Yes, I am feeling incredibly smug. :p
 Heike 01 Jan 2018
In reply to TobyA:

Yesterday ten pitches at Guadelest and today four pitches at Toix followed by beach and sadly now the airport to fly back to sunny Scotland.
 deacondeacon 01 Jan 2018
In reply to buxtoncoffeelover:
Nice one Nic! That's a big haul
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 01 Jan 2018
In reply to TobyA:

10 easy routes at Dreuilhe (Ariege) yesterday and a bit of snowshoe action at Plateau de Beille today before the rain arrived,

Chris
 TheFasting 01 Jan 2018
In reply to TobyA:
I did 5 laps on the middle and right side of the ice at No match for crag id:21589 on Christmas Eve. Also some mixed climbing variations.

Today I did 5 laps on what I think was Gjerdrumtappen (WI-4) but I can't be sure. Was vertical for a good 7-10 meters or so, I'm bad at guesstimating that stuff.

EDIT: Toprope, of course.

I'm not sure it actually was Gjerdrumtappen now but it definitely wasn't WI3, which is the alternative
Post edited at 19:29
 jon_gill1 01 Jan 2018
In reply to TobyA:

Popped up the calf at Ilkley moor NYE as I was with family so it was the best I was going to get! NYD spent the day with family dodging the rain! Hoping to get back on it this year!contrast to previous new year where I was climbing in North Pembrokeshire in a T Shirt! Hope all you fellow UKCers get out and have a great year!
 Blue Straggler 01 Jan 2018
In reply to TobyA:

I did a 40m freedive on the 31st. This invlovled vertical motion, ropes and carabiners, and was utterly pointless, so it is very like climbing
In reply to deacondeacon:

Cheers Deacon. The quest for another 1000 this year begins tomorrow! Hope you are enjoying the parenting game & still finding time to get out frequently. N
OP TobyA 01 Jan 2018
In reply to buxtoncoffeelover:

That's a lot! Top effort. My logbook says I did 266 last year, better than 2016, not quite as good as 2015 but I had a long summer break that year. Are many of yours repeats? If not I'm impressed you get to so many different crags!
In reply to TobyA:

There are indeed many repeats (old favourites revisited, often with new partners or just for the pleasure), but there are 332 new ticks too. Santa brought me 'Over the Moors' to provide inspiration & new local crags to visit in 2018.....& even more to travel to further afield

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...