UKC

Leeds/Bradford where should I climb tomorrow (Friday)?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 deacondeacon 07 Feb 2013
I need to waste a day in the Huddersfield area tomorrow and am hoping to get out and do a bit of climbing. I normally end up at Almscliff and fancy a change, and I imagine Caley will be green.
Hoping to either get stuck into some low 7's bouldering or a crag that you can bag a load of easy soloing.
Oh and the weather is very 50/50 so not miles away from the car.
Any ideas?

Oh and if anyone ones to join me just shout?

Deacon
 Jon Stewart 07 Feb 2013
In reply to deacondeacon:

The Glen is always worth a look. Aesthetically flawed but excellent climbing and right next to the car. Lots to do, mixture of short soloing and bouldering. The classic 7a/+s are Parker and Red Baron, and there's maybe a chance Green Traverse will be dry.

I particularly recommend Vim (classic 6b high barn-door arete) Manson's Wall (slightly scary crimpy 6c wall) and Millstone Grip (very scary crimpy 6c wall). Don't start at the pub end, it's an even more of acquired taste than the main bit round Red Baron and Glen Arete.

Sadly I'm busy all day.
OP deacondeacon 07 Feb 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart: Was thinking of that but thought I'd leave it until you can give me the tour. If I don't get any other ideas I'll give it a try.
Whats the chances of getting 3g round there (21st century problems), I don't have a guide book so will be using yorkshiregrit.com.
Red Baron looks well good.
 Jon Stewart 07 Feb 2013
In reply to deacondeacon: Signal's fine. Disadvantage will be traffic (very much the wrong side of Bradford) and the fact that it's a bit of a dump.

Can you be arsed with the drive up to Slipstones? That's far far nicer.
OP deacondeacon 07 Feb 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart: Nah Slipstones is too far, got to be back for 3.30. Shipley it is then, wish me luck
 hoodmonkey 07 Feb 2013

Woodhouse Scar?

Five second walk-in and loads of good problems, including a few low 7's, although the classics are mostly 7B upwards.

Still, worth a nosey in terms of convenience.
 Simonj 07 Feb 2013

How about West Nab? 20 minutes from Hudders and only a 10 minute walk in
http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=1536
Si
OP deacondeacon 08 Feb 2013
In reply to hoodmonkey and simonj: Thanks for the recommendations, my wife works in Huddersfield so I'm sure i'll get to your recommendations in the future.
I'm going to try Shipley Glen today (if its dry).
 lummox 08 Feb 2013
In reply to deacondeacon: The Glen had afew bits of seepage yesterday afternoon but plenty in good nick. Enjoy.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...