UKC

Lindale Slabs ? bolted or not

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 red1200 12 Jul 2018

Is lindale slabs bolted for top-roping? Thinking of having a going there with my little girl so she can try outdoor climbing and just wondered what gear to take. 

I know theres access restrictions, so will contact the outdoor centre to check when its in use, just wondered what the protection set up was. 

thanks

andyflem 12 Jul 2018
In reply to red1200: Plenty of bolts for top roping anchors. None on the face itself. You don’t need permission to use it unless you are a group user though I guess deconflicting with the outdoor centre makes sense.

Access to the top is a path or its a pleasant solo anywhere on the slabs, very shiny at the bottom. Should be an ideal spot for what you need. If she likes it try Hoad Slabs in Ulverston. All the same applies but taller, harder, better view and a great little town adjacent. Great spot

OP red1200 12 Jul 2018
In reply to andyflem:

Thanks, sounds the ideal place, will have a trip up there this weekend.

deacondeacon 12 Jul 2018
In reply to red1200:

I took my daughter to Hutton Roof which isn't a million miles away and it was perfect for the little uns (she's 4). Easy to set up belays, tends to be quiet, easy routes and noconflicting interest with groups. 

Dark-Cloud 13 Jul 2018
In reply to deacondeacon:

Agreed, Hutton Roof would be a far more pleasurable experience

deacondeacon 13 Jul 2018
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Yep my parents live in Grange so I went and had a look at Lindale slabs. Didn't even bother unpacking my bag lol. Hutton Roof on the other hand is a lovely place to spend a few hours. 

OP red1200 13 Jul 2018
In reply to red1200:

is hutton roof just in the big Lancashire Rock guide, or is it in any other smaller (& cheaper!) guides?

Bob Kemp 13 Jul 2018
In reply to red1200:

You can find the old Lancashire Rock guide to Hutton Roof online, but it's not particularly clear as far as locating things is concerned: 

http://www.lancashirerock.co.uk/gb/results.php?step=3&country=&area...

In reply to red1200:

its in all editions of lancashire rock.

there is also a free bouldering guide for hutton roof and available on lakesbloc:

http://www.lakesbloc.com/lakes-bouldering-guides/

obviously it only covers bouldering  but it has a write up on the approach and shows the main sectors quite well. Hutton roof is the sort of crag you can just rock up to and pick out the lines easily without a full guidebook. 

Dark-Cloud 13 Jul 2018
In reply to red1200:

Just head down to the obvious looking overhang about half way down the crag, lots of easy cracks around that area, good thread belays on top too.

Jim Lancs 13 Jul 2018
In reply to red1200:

You need a bit of 'perseverance' to get to Hutton Roof crag from the village at the moment. Despite the drought, the bracken beside the path on the way up is head high to a giraffe. Best short rope any children or they could be lost for ever. It's okay by the crag itself.

The bracken is also tick infested. 

Rog Wilko 13 Jul 2018
In reply to Jim Lancs:

And on top of that finding the crag on a first (or even second or third) visit can be frustrating. It'll help  when all guide books give GPS co-ordinates for each crag. In fact it would be a good idea if this info was on UKC crag database too! (Hint)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...