UKC

Llanberis pass parking spot

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 partz 09 Aug 2013
Hi guys

Does anyone know the deal with parking here in Llanberis:

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=llanberis+pass&hl=en&ll=53.089591,...

Seen numerous cars parked there and wondered how legit it is. (We got told on Tuesday we couldnt park in a space because it was 'reserved' by the film crew of a road cycling race...)
 Sean Kelly 09 Aug 2013
In reply to partz: You are no doubt talking about the Gromlech layby. Well only the local council or police can close the layby, but nobody is allowed to 'book it' exclusively. Unfortunately it is mostly filled by cars that don't want to pay their £10 to park at Peny Pass. So if climbers arrive late no spaces are available.
There is a regular bus that serves Pen y Pass for tourists and walkers so why can't they leave the laybys in the Pass for climbers. My personal view. The only advice I can offer is definitely not to park outside of the designated areas such as on double yellow lines, that line the Pass, as the police are very strict on this. You will be booked.
 jon 09 Aug 2013
In reply to partz:

Or do you mean moving a few rocks and driving through the old gateway?
 Misha 09 Aug 2013
If you mean the small flat area next to the boulders, there have been cars there every weekend I've been there. Seems to be new this year, presumably the gateway was previously blocked.

Join the CC to always be guaranteed a parking spot and a cheap campsite/hut in the Pass, at Bosigran and elsewhere!
 DaveR 09 Aug 2013
In reply to partz:

I parked in there a few Weeks ago, after seeing others parked in there too. The rocks weren't there mind.
 Sean Kelly 09 Aug 2013
In reply to partz: I think that the farmer charges if he catches you there!
OP partz 09 Aug 2013
In reply to partz: Yes sorry I was unspecific. I meant through the gate right next to the bus stop.

Yeah there is no rocks in the way, just a gate with no lock. Farmers land you say...?
 Pete_Frost 09 Aug 2013
In reply to partz: Don't take any chances getting gates locked on you. Farmers can be as touchy as anyone who finds someone else's car parked on their lawn...

If you can't get a space in any of the lay byes then consider the park and ride in Nant Peris. You get a free bus ticket for one on the Sherpa bus with each parking ticket. The bus fare is only £1 in any case. You can plan your journey on Traveline Cymru if you want to do more than just head off up the pass. I live here and often use the bus to avoid parking hassles.
Clwydian 10 Aug 2013
In reply to Sean Kelly: The regular bus service is also available to climbers and will drop them off at the stop in the picture. The park is for everyone.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...