UKC

localized weather forecasts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jessyb55 17 Jan 2018

Afternoon all, 

Are there any good sources of localized weather forecasts online?  More localized 

I'm thinking of saving the drive from the pass to Tremadog when it's raining for example.  Snowdonia & the peak are my main haunts.  

I guess I'm looking for MWIS with more detail - a breakdown for idiots that will save me having to try and learn about isobars & drive all over Wales in search of dry rock.

Cheers!

climber34neil 17 Jan 2018
In reply to jessyb55:

Mountain weather uk app is very good, gives forcast and conditions for specific mountains as well as areas

In reply to jessyb55:

Use the met office site and their rainfall radar graphics. From this you can see where the rain has fallen, and where it is predicted to fall in fairly good resolution. It goes out in one hour increments for 6 hours or so, then 3 hours after that. For the previous few hours it shows the rainfall movement recorded every 5 minutes. Also, it's generally updated very regularly during the day, that's to say the forecast is updated, it doesn't just chug through in hour steps using a 12 hour old forecast like I suspect the BBC's site does.

elsewhere 17 Jan 2018
In reply to jessyb55:

https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar

I use it to time my commute (eg gap in rain will come over in 30 mins) so I'm not sure how good it is at planning something longer or less immediate.

Post edited at 17:20
OP jessyb55 18 Jan 2018
In reply to jessyb55:

cheers all, I'll have a good look at those suggestions.

In reply to jessyb55:

Windy.com

You can zoom in to show the whole of North Wales and play the animated forecast for several days. Or you can click on any location and get a detailed forecast. 

Andy Moles 18 Jan 2018
In reply to jessyb55:

I'm sceptical of the reliability of very localised forecasting. Given that the arrival of entire weather systems can be predicted inaccurately, I take with a pinch of salt when places five miles apart have significantly different forecasts. A bit of local knowledge about trends with certain types of weather pattern is sometimes more valuable. 

I generally like forecasts that give info on percentage chance of precipitation, and levels of confidence, like the Metoffice.

That said, Windy is a thing of beauty so just gaze at that.

Post edited at 15:03
 rif 18 Jan 2018
In reply to jessyb55:

Met Office location forecasts can be had for mountains as well as towns/villages, e.g. 

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gcmnjj1zx#?date=2018-0...

And there's a useful drop-down list of "nearby places" that you can check out.

As said upthread, MetO rain radar is good for seeing what has happened recently and what is happening upwind.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...