UKC

Looking for climbs by Kirkus and Menlove Edwards

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 freeheel47 09 Nov 2018

Hi,

I've been living in Liverpool for the last 30 years. I'm a fairly rubbish climber but think I could have a try at the climbs by these two Scousers.

But does anybody know what they have done? 

Many thanks- ed

In reply to freeheel47:

The following ticklist would be a good place to start for Kirkus: https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/set.php?id=197

Sadly there isn't one for Menlove currently, but if anyone fancies doing one...

steveriley 09 Nov 2018
In reply to freeheel47:

Fairly locally, you could have a peek at Helsby and Flake Crack (VS 4c) in particular

J1234 09 Nov 2018
In reply to freeheel47:

Apparently the last climb he did, before he went to war was a severe on Oak Howe.  Oak Howe Crag No idea if it was an FA. 
Maybe worth doing for the historical interest. More so if you sent of from the Roberstson Lamb Hut as he would have.

mark hounslea 09 Nov 2018
In reply to freeheel47:

Flake crack at Helsby as well as being a cracking climb has a very interesting history. Menlove devised a specific training routine which he carried out in the Gym of the Adelphi hotel In Order to send this route

Pekkie 09 Nov 2018
In reply to freeheel47:

Two books you can get off Amazon: Hands of a Climber by Steve Dean and Menlove by Jim Perrin. Both tell a poignant story about an interesting personality. Just checked the Kirkus book and he did the first ascents of Golden Pillar and Eliminate One at Helsby in the 30s both at VS (without modern gear of course) and both now given E1!

Post edited at 19:58
 keith sanders 11 Nov 2018
In reply to mark hounslea:

Send this route ? what the el are you talking about.

keith s

Pekkie 11 Nov 2018
In reply to keith sanders:

What a pathetic mistake! No climber in the 30s would have used the term 'send a climb'. He would said 'send the project'.

mrphilipoldham 11 Nov 2018
In reply to mark hounslea:

Send it where?

pasbury 11 Nov 2018
In reply to freeheel47:

> Hi,

> I've been living in Liverpool for the last 30 years. I'm a fairly rubbish climber but think I could have a try at the climbs by these two Scousers.

> But does anybody know what they have done? 

> Many thanks- ed

Don’t underestimate their routes! Technically they may have reached 5b but the protection techniques they had available were rudimentary. So they would tackle ground based on it’s difficulty rather than it’s safety. On some of their routes that means you go pretty bold.

Kirkus seemed to be attracted to cleaner, slabbier ground, Menlove had an affinity to altogether darker routes at times.

Post edited at 23:45
 pwo 12 Nov 2018
In reply to freeheel47

agree wholeheartedly with pasbury.

If you look at any snowdonia guide they're littered with routes by Kirkus and Edwards . If you want to experience the Edwards theme a bit more then cycle from Liverpool to Capel curig with all your gear, climb a few routes , then cycle back.  Include super direct on your itinary and remember when he led it he had no protection and boots of the era. If you screw up the final crux mov, as you hurtle out  of the crack glance to your left as you exit and wave at your second. He was extremely fit  and got up to all sort of escapades in his life. kirkus' routes ,I think, are more like  a vertical game of chess.  

I have toyed with the idea of an Edwards memorial ride, currently there's 4 of us up for the challenge (one of  whom is a psychiatrist ).

Steve Clegg 12 Nov 2018
In reply to freeheel47:

Mickledore Grooves VS 4c *** Mickledore Grooves (VS 5a) is a Kirkus route. Fantastic!

Steve

OP freeheel47 12 Nov 2018
In reply to pasbury:

oh I had no intention to lead all of them.  Getting off the ground and to the top is the only ambition. 

Anyone with a more comprehensive list?

thanks in anticipation- ed.

In reply to freeheel47:

Great slab/ bow shaped slab combination, you can climb in the footsteps of both! 

David Jones 14 Nov 2018
In reply to freeheel47:

How about Chimney Route on Cloggy. A first ascent (the only?) by the two.

C Witter 15 Nov 2018
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Actually, there is a Menlove list - though, at a glance, it doesn't look complete to me:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/set.php?id=198

Still a good starting point!

In reply to C Witter:

Surely one of Edwards' most famous routes was the desperate 'HVS' Central Gully Direct on Lliwedd? Not on the list.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...