UKC

Low grade climbs +15m within 30 miles Kilmarnock

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dove868 12 Apr 2018

Hi folks,

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions for crags / cliffs that fall into (or close to) the following criteria;

Averaging over 15m high.

Within an hours drive (or around 30 miles) of Kilmarnock.

Enough trad routes under VS / sport routes under 5b to spend a full day there (so a minimum of around 10).

Quite specific I know but as I am new to the area I'm trying to scope out the possibilities.

Cheers,

Jake

DaveHK 12 Apr 2018
In reply to dove868:

Loudon Hill is your best bet. A great wee crag.

spenser 12 Apr 2018
In reply to dove868:

Have you come across the Lowland Outcrops guidebook? Plenty of inspiration in there for Southern Scotland, not sure about what would be easily accessible from Kilmarnock other than Dumbarton Rock.

DaveHK 12 Apr 2018
In reply to spenser:

Dumby isn't particularly easy to get to from Kilmarnock although it's probably less than an hour if the roads are quiet.

And it definitely doesn't fit the OP's grade criteria!

OP dove868 12 Apr 2018

Hi both,

Thanks for your comments - I have heard of Loudoun Hill so may have to check it out.

Dumbarton would be great if I weren't taking beginner climbers with me but as Dave says it's a bit too strenuous for those starting out!

Cheers,

Jake

spenser 12 Apr 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

Sorry, I missed the bit about number of routes! Only a couple of easy lines there. There is fab climbing in Galloway on the Meikle Ross and Clifton Crags areas but a bit far a day trip possibly.

JimR 15 Apr 2018
In reply to dove868:

I was born and brought up in Kilmarnock! Loudon Hill is the closest with some cracking routes, there used to be hard sandstone pillars from a viaduct in Hurlford which gave excellent problems and training. Apart from that we used to drive to the Lake District more often than go North, plus in these days scottish pubs shut at 10 and english ones shut at 11

k.shark 15 Apr 2018
In reply to dove868:

Meikle ross is good only about 1hour from Kilmarnock once you know road , plenty other sea cliffs just over an hour away , Mull of Galloway  , Why an hour lots of daylight now , forecast warmer next week .

JLS 15 Apr 2018
In reply to dove868:

Neilston Quarry Is your local "beginers" crag...

BrendanO 16 Apr 2018
In reply to JLS:

Someone mentioned Lowkand Outcrops guide, so I will mention 7a Max guide to Scottish Sport - an inspiration for me, found lots of new places. 

A slightly longer drive, but for lits of easy dport, S facing, toilets and cafe nearby, 1minute walk-in, might be worth thinking Benny Beg (damn, it's shorter than 15m).

Michael Gordon 16 Apr 2018
In reply to JLS:

> Neilston Quarry Is your local "beginers" crag...

The OP might be doing well to spend a whole day there...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...