UKC

Major Rock Movement - Castle Rock, Thirlmere

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Yes I know there is already a thread about rockfall on Castle Rock N Crag. I have started a new thread as I have some new information that I didn't want to be hidden away in the middle or at the bottom of another thread.

There has recently been dramatic movement of the huge block on the upper LH side of the N Crag.

There was an "earthquake" at Grasmere on 6/3/18 and earth movement was felt at Thirlspot (which is a couple of hundred metres from the crag). There was an earlier event on 28/2/18 and these may have contributed to the movement.  At this time of the year there is normally very little movement so something seems to have changed.

As I can't post photos here please have a look at https://www.frcc.co.uk/castle-rock-north-crag-rock-instability/. You will see that the two glass plates that were measuring the mm of movement are now l separated by cms.

If you still want to climb there be in on your own head, it may well be!

Rog Wilko 12 Mar 2018
In reply to Trevor Langhorne:

This needs a few bumps. Here's one.

Monk 12 Mar 2018
In reply to Rog Wilko:

In light of the inevitable, is anyone thinking about taking matters in hand and giving geology some controlled assistance? 

Jon Stewart 12 Mar 2018

Exciting, thanks for posting. But I reckon I'll struggle to find partners to come to North crag now, which is annoying. 

Post edited at 19:32
pasbury 12 Mar 2018
In reply to Monk:

If there are people living in houses in the firing line then they should be given the option of moving out with compensation or even compulsory purchase could be used.  It would then be interesting to let nature take it’s course under close observation - we might learn a lot.

Neil Williams 12 Mar 2018
In reply to pasbury:

I don't think there's an awful lot under it.

More (older) info: https://www.frcc.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Castle-Rock-Crack.-May-15...

petegunn 12 Mar 2018

Thought this might have been the case!

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/rocktalk/cumbria_earthquake_is_castle_roc... 

There's a link to the BBC news report

Post edited at 23:16
 Mark Collins 13 Mar 2018
In reply to Monk:

> In light of the inevitable, is anyone thinking about taking matters in hand and giving geology some controlled assistance? 

The ultimate trundle!

mike123 13 Mar 2018

surely a webcam / video cam would be in order now . should be pretty spectacular when it goes .

I understand that the Geological Survey are discussing placing monitoring equipment around the crack with the landowner (United Utilities). The rock movement is likely to be a once in a generation opportunity to study in detail a major natural rock collapse.

As for the idea of trundling the offending rock, the block is the size of a bungalow so might not respond to the odd push. United Utilities might not be too pleased if climbers accelerate natural process, who knows in which direction it will bounce. Look on the bright side, the houses below the crag might become very cheap!

DerwentDiluted 16 Mar 2018

Look on the bright side, the houses below the crag might become very cheap!

After they have been turned into flats.

> I understand that the Geological Survey are discussing placing monitoring equipment around the crack with the landowner (United Utilities). The rock movement is likely to be a once in a generation opportunity to study in detail a major natural rock collapse.

Correction

I misunderstood an email. BGS currently has no involvement, the interest is from a couple of University Academics. 

Root1 17 Mar 2018

Going........going................"........................................

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...