UKC

Mallorca crags with flat(ish) bases?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Twiggy Diablo 30 Dec 2019

Hi all thinking about a spring trip to Mallorca with some friends and researching the suitability of crags for a baby.

Walk-ins not really an issue, just needs to have a flatish platform at the base of the crag to set up his tent.

Horseshoe quarry and the cuttings are at the perfect end of the scale but doesn’t really need to be more than 4 to 5m.

(El chorro was generally less ideal due to the way the ground drops away steeply below the crag).

Thanks!

Lankyman 30 Dec 2019
In reply to Twiggy Diablo:

Cala Magraner would be right for you - nice sandy beach. Not sure about access as it's years since I've been.

OP Twiggy Diablo 30 Dec 2019
In reply to Lankyman:

Oh yes, looked at some pics, looks great

Lankyman 30 Dec 2019

Cala Santanyi might suit you too. It's by the sea and has a flat rock platform at it's base from which you can swim. My friend did but I didn't so can't vouch for the temperature in Spring.

OP Twiggy Diablo 31 Dec 2019
In reply to Lankyman:

Thanks Lankyman - pictures look like the platform is reasonably wide but would need to reckie that one in advance i reckon

Oliver Haworth 31 Dec 2019

As mentioned definitely Cala Magraner. It's a 10/15 min walk in following an old river bed but it's flat and easy. Then the crag runs along the left hand side of the beach. Only thing I'd note is a slight lack of shade on the crag side of the beach as not that many trees. I remember getting burnt there due to being in the sun all day, but if you've got a tent then no problem.

Only other crag they definitely comes to mind would be S'estret, certainly some good sectors there for kids. I've been at Sector Cuarenton which had families there with tents and hammocks between trees.

tjekel 01 Jan 2020

I seem to remember that the hairpin wall at Caimari and sector Silicona at Sa Gubia where fitting. Both not exactly the crags you travel to Mallorca for. 

OP Twiggy Diablo 01 Jan 2020
In reply to Oliver Haworth:

Thats super helpful, thanks 🙏 

Iamgregp 01 Jan 2020

Though it’s not the prettiest of settings I seem to remember Felantix has a pretty flat base

markfairbank 01 Jan 2020

Most of Caimari would be fine. Seen other groups there with babies and it’s an excellent crag.

OP Twiggy Diablo 02 Jan 2020

Thanks Mark and Greg!

Much appreciated.

Oliver Haworth 02 Jan 2020

I was also going to mention Caimari too so that is worth a look. Only other one that comes to mind would be Port de Soller. Smaller venue but good climbs up on a large flat shelf above the beach and town. Good for a rest day as you've got the beach, nice little town as well as some DWS.

Bulls Crack 11 Jan 2020

Not many times you see ‘Horseshoe Quarry and ’perfect’ in the same sentence!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...