UKC

mammut 10m prom wall rope butterfly coils

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
ianj 21 Nov 2013
Just got this rope and every time i use it indoors it twists into butterfly coils ,i have pulled it through many times but has no effect . Anyone any advice how to prevent this . Thanks Ian
ianj 22 Nov 2013
In reply to ianj: Nobody got any advice?
 Jonny2vests 22 Nov 2013
In reply to ianj:

If you have somewhere with a big enough drop, you could hang it. The bottom end needs to be off the ground, then any twists in there will unravel. Halving it over a drop also works.

If not, lay it out in a straight line and have a person at each end untwist any coils, that's what I usually do with new ropes.
 JimboWizbo 22 Nov 2013
In reply to ianj: When you first uncoil a rope after buying it's best to drape it out on the floor in kind of a really tall sine wave (can't find the words to describe this properly), so I've been told.
needvert 22 Nov 2013
In reply to ianj:

For what it's worth Mammut ropes generally come lap coiled.
 Choss 22 Nov 2013
In reply to ianj:

Drag it across Grass in Straight Line.

Dont coil it. Either chain Link it, or just feed it into a bag uncoiled at end of Session.
 Neil Williams 22 Nov 2013
In reply to Choss:

That or pull it through a belay plate a couple of times. Usually straightens a twisty rope out.

Neil
 Jordon Fleming 22 Nov 2013
In reply to ianj: their is a few things i found that help. best thing climb a route indoors and when you climber is down pull the climbers end of the rope and get someone to run the other side through their hands, after a session the twist will be gone. if it inst the way you are packing the rope away is making it twist. How do you pack it away ? coil, rope back ?
 jkarran 22 Nov 2013
In reply to ianj:

If it's a 30m wall rope the twists should be easy enough to work out by pulling the climber's end each time you do a route.

It's possible that if the rope is longer or the routes are short you're not allowing the belayer's end to spin the twists out (it stays on the floor too long) as you pull it through. In which case dragging it halved along a floor/field will probably do the trick.

It's also possible that something you do keep putting the twists back in, your belay device, belaying technique, coiling/storage method or even just clipping both krabs at the top can sometimes introduce twists, don't ask me how, it's witchcraft so far as I can tell!

jk
 nniff 22 Nov 2013
In reply to jkarran:
> (In reply to ianj)
just clipping both krabs at the top can sometimes introduce twists, don't ask me how, it's witchcraft so far as I can tell!
>
What they all said, and this (above)
ianj 22 Nov 2013
In reply to ianj: Cheers guys for all information ,going to put your advice into use Thanks Ian
ianj 24 Nov 2013
In reply to Neil Williams:

Thanks for the advice rope now sorted ,cheerrs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...