UKC

Midge Alert

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MeMeMe 27 Jun 2013

Beat a hasty retreat from Brimham last night due to being attacked by vicious swarms of midges.
Midge repellant had no effect, in fact I think they quite liked it.

Where's still midge free and where are you likely to get eaten alive?
Anyone got any (midge) condition reports?
 toad 27 Jun 2013
In reply to MeMeMe: Was at Birchen last night and they didn't really get going till about 8.45.

They were a bit bitey (Simon Pegg fans) by the time we got back to the car park
 Jonny2vests 27 Jun 2013
In reply to MeMeMe:
>
> Beat a hasty retreat from Brimham last night due to being attacked by vicious swarms of midges.
> Midge repellant had no effect, in fact I think they quite liked it.
>
>
> Where's still midge free and where are you likely to get eaten alive?

Go high to get the breeze or if that isn't available stay off moorland. They hate limestone crags

Bulls Crack 27 Jun 2013
In reply to Jonny2vests:
> (In reply to MeMeMe)
> [...]
>
> Go high to get the breeze or if that isn't available stay off moorland. They hate limestone crags

Tell that to the ones on Trow Gill!
 GrantB 27 Jun 2013
In reply to Bulls Crack:

And Kilnsey
And Malham
And Trollers

Surely this is the excuse you've all been waiting for to get down to Filey!
 JohnnyW 27 Jun 2013
In reply to Jonny2vests:
> (In reply to MeMeMe)
> [...]
>
> Go high to get the breeze or if that isn't available stay off moorland. They hate limestone crags

And tell it to the swarms at Limekilns last night!
 jkarran 27 Jun 2013
In reply to MeMeMe:

Kilnsey was disgusting with the little bastards on Tuesday.
jk
 CurlyStevo 27 Jun 2013
In reply to JohnnyW:
Wow don't think I've ever been midged at limekilns and I used to go regularly.
 cfdouglas 27 Jun 2013
In reply to MeMeMe:

http://www.midgeforecast.co.uk/home

Only for North of the border though...
 CurlyStevo 27 Jun 2013
In reply to MeMeMe:
which repellent?
 CurlyStevo 27 Jun 2013
In reply to MeMeMe:
Ive used another Lemon Eucalyptus product by jungle formula I think, that I thought was quite good, but was very strong smelling and needed topping up if the smell drops!

Smidge is pretty good I find (and also the evil DEET).
 AlH 27 Jun 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo: Another vote for Smidge. Makes even all over coverage of the blighters in Glen Nevis bearable as you don't get bitten any where its been applied.
 Calder 27 Jun 2013
In reply to AlH:

I got a natural one from the Green Welly once, which worked real good. Had witchhazel and suchlike in it I think. But that was years ago, and I've only used deet type stuff since as that's what I've found in the shops. Both adequate - although most of the time I forget (or just forget to apply to ankles).

But since my skin is fragile, and because the midges are currently voracious, I decided last night I was going to order more natural stuff over th'internet. This has simply served as a reminder... So cheers.
 Red Rover 27 Jun 2013
In reply to MeMeMe: Everything on Bowfell was pretty bad a few days ago.
 grubes 27 Jun 2013
In reply to MeMeMe:
I was at pule last night in the breeze it was fine.
I went to wimberry the wednesday before. The crag was fine with a very light breeze but the boulders were grim with no breeze.

My advice is get on the moors in hope of a breeze
OP MeMeMe 27 Jun 2013
In reply to grubes:
> (In reply to MeMeMe)
> I was at pule last night in the breeze it was fine.
> I went to wimberry the wednesday before. The crag was fine with a very light breeze but the boulders were grim with no breeze.
>
> My advice is get on the moors in hope of a breeze

We were at the north edge of Brimham because we thought it might be catching a bit of a breeze but no luck.
I was getting increasingly worried my belayer was going to take me off belay and run off, leaving me stuck halfway up an offwidth unable to get up or get down and getting eaten alive by the midges...

Wiley Coyote2 27 Jun 2013
In reply to MeMeMe:
I've started using a midge net. I look like an out of work terrorist but it keeps the little blighters at bay when belaying.
 Gavin 27 Jun 2013
In reply to Wiley Coyote:

Summit Quarry nr Rochdale was also bad with them last night. Belaying on the last climb was only bearable with a net on.

Gavin
boulderbaz 27 Jun 2013
In reply to MeMeMe: getting an old long sleeve thermal and lashing it in this stuff, and then something 100% deet just for the face works a treat..
http://outdoor.shoppingproductonline.com/?p=1399
 Simon Caldwell 27 Jun 2013
In reply to MeMeMe:
Brimham tends to get especially bad, possibly because there's lots of vegetation and it's pretty sheltered. Caley's bad tpoo for similar reasons.
Almscliff's usually the best bet for local grit.
Or for sort-of limestone, I've never been midged at Peak Scar (there are other bitey things but you tend not to notice those until the next day).
 Jonny2vests 27 Jun 2013
In reply to GrantB:
> (In reply to Bulls Crack)
>
> And Kilnsey
> And Malham
> And Trollers
>
> Surely this is the excuse you've all been waiting for to get down to Filey!

Ok, correction, they hate Limestone crags in the Peak. The grit is obviously much better there than Yorkshire.
 Offwidth 28 Jun 2013
In reply to Jonny2vests:

You get midges at peak Limestone too, just not so many. More preference than hate maybe?
 mark20 28 Jun 2013
In reply to Offwidth:
Yeh a few came out at Stoney on Wednesday evening. I got midged off Two Tier once last year too
Rigid Raider 28 Jun 2013
In reply to MeMeMe:

Buy a road bike and ride it fast.
 jules699 28 Jun 2013
In reply to MeMeMe: Don't go to Anglezarke!!!! I used Jungle Formula bug spray and Lifesystems but still got bit LOADS....on a course of anti histamines now HOWEVER....had no problems with Buckstones or West Nab lately....moorland breeze thing I guess.
 Fiona Reid 28 Jun 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:
> Wow don't think I've ever been midged at limekilns and I used to go regularly.

They were out in force on Wednesday night, little 4%$*'s. Cambusbarron was pretty unpleasant on Tuesday and Auchinstarry was a no go zone after about 9pm last Tuesday. I think the only east/central belt crag that's safe from them at the moment is Traprain. Whilst they may have had a late start the little beggars are certainly making the most of it now (
 pebbles 28 Jun 2013
In reply to Toreador:
> (In reply to MeMeMe)
I've never been midged at Peak Scar (there are other bitey things but you tend not to notice those until the next day).

I have....they were probably ignoring Toreador because they were too busy with me

Simon Caldwell 28 Jun 2013
 Milesy 28 Jun 2013
In reply to Fiona Reid:
> Auchinstarry was a no go zone after about 9pm last Tuesday.

Auchinstarry Wednesday. Bang on the nose about 9pm they all came charging out and shouting to their mates. I was already dying with hayfever at this point after having to bushwack the bottom of Lion, and then having to swim through long fresh grass at the top, the midges just topped it off haha.

That was my first lead (onsight) of Lion by the way (ive read your comments and history about it before), but I couldnt figure out where the 5b move was on it?
 anaesthetic 29 Jun 2013
In reply to jules699:
> (In reply to MeMeMe) Don't go to Anglezarke!!!!

Hey friend don't blame the venue, I didn't get bit once and stayed later than you when they really came out to play. U must be tasty
Cover up and get some VitB.

Hope you're well enough to come out to play tomorrow, forecast is more breezy
 RagingSphere 29 Jun 2013
In reply to anaesthetic:

> Hey friend don't blame the venue, I didn't get bit once and stayed later than you when they really came out to play. U must be tasty

And I stayed later than you and I got munched alive, especially my right arm! It's quite a good dot to dot puzzle at the moment!
 Fiona Reid 29 Jun 2013
In reply to Milesy:
Nice one on the onsight.

I'm not sure there is a 5b move if you're a normal height! Personally I find the final moves up the corner desperate as I can't reach the good hold (I'm 5ft 2) and have to make a blind step round the arete up a move then back into the corner to top out. I have gone straight up the corner on a top rope but it feels sketchy as hell as I've no decent handhold.
PopShot 29 Jun 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:
> (In reply to MeMeMe)
>
>
> Smidge is pretty good I find (and also the evil DEET).
>

DEET gives you brain damage and causes hormonal changes. So I've been told.
 deepsoup 30 Jun 2013
In reply to PopShot:
You're not supposed to drink it.
 xplorer 30 Jun 2013
In reply to PopShot:

DEET gives you brain damage and causes hormonal changes. So I've been told.

Is this first hand experiance popshot?
 Milesy 30 Jun 2013
In reply to Fiona Reid:
> I'm not sure there is a 5b move if you're a normal height! Personally I find the final moves up the corner desperate as I can't reach the good hold (I'm 5ft 2) and have to make a blind step round the arete up a move then back into the corner to top out. I have gone straight up the corner on a top rope but it feels sketchy as hell as I've no decent handhold

Ah, That might be why then yeah I went back into the corner at the very end but I was able to pretty much get stright for the jugs, and yeah I have a pretty long reach.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...