UKC

Midges on Isle Skye - end of May?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Discolegs 15 May 2014
Just saw the post on midges having appeared in Langdale. Wonder if that will be the case on Isle of Skye by the end of May? I heard this year will be particularly bad as the winter was mild and its been damp.

We are planning to camp on Isle of Skye the last week of May and wondering to what extent midges will be an issue? Any thoughts appreciated. Even if to prepare mentally
 d_b 15 May 2014
In reply to Discolegs:

There are no midges on Skye. Midges are a myth invented to scare of english climbers. No more real than drop bears or bigfoot.
 ScraggyGoat 15 May 2014
In reply to Discolegs:

Advanced parties of midgies were making thier presence felt in Ardgour last weekend at low levels once the sun went down and the wind dropped, so they will be out in reasonable force, if not full strength by the end of the month.
 BnB 15 May 2014
In reply to Discolegs:

Very unlikely that you will escape I'm afraid. I'm there half term week as well... packing Autan!!
In reply to Discolegs:

> Just saw the post on midges having appeared in Langdale.

The midges have moved their headquarters south in case of a YES vote. George Osborne told them there won't be enough blood in an Independent Scotland to support them.
 nathan79 15 May 2014
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

> The midges have moved their headquarters south in case of a YES vote. George Osborne told them there won't be enough blood in an Independent Scotland to support them.

Now this is the only compelling case I've seen for voting yes.
 Robin Woodward 15 May 2014
In reply to Discolegs:

We went to Skye end of May, beginning of June 2 years ago when the midges were supposedly delayed. Wasn't as bad as feared when climbing, unless you hit a shadowy sheltered section....belaying wasn't fun. Glen Nevis was much much worse!

Recommend the below:

http://www.midgejacket.co.uk/index.htm

There are some cheaper ones on ebay, but don't trust anything that has draw strings etc, any gap will be regretted!
 Mike Lates 15 May 2014
In reply to Discolegs:

I've had one poor morning with them already so come with defences of which jacket recommended above is the best by far. Camping is the weak part of plan as you can be clever & avoid them when climbing & walking. Apologies to campsite owners
 BnB 15 May 2014
In reply to Robin UK:

Autan is pretty reliable for all day relief from the dreaded midge. The only application that lasts a full 8 hours in my experience. Smidge also comes recommended by others but I haven't tried it.
 Mike Lates 15 May 2014
In reply to nathan79:

> Now this is the only compelling case I've seen for voting yes.

How about policies that reflect the population north of the border as opposed to selfish wealth-orientated direction that is currently imposed?
OP Discolegs 08 Jun 2014
In reply to Discolegs:

thanks for the replies and apologies for disappearing for awhile. I can report than midges have arrived to isle of skye Maybe not yet in full force though but enough to make themselves noticed. we were there during the half term week. it was actually the campsite where were noticed them the most. we used midge hoods and smidge (name of the repellent) seemed to work well. also, every everning we had a campfire (as the campsite had a free supply of wood) which is the ultimate repellent if you dont mind a bit of smoke. anyway, what an amazing place isle of skye i mean!
 Billhook 08 Jun 2014
In reply to Discolegs:

Midges? In Scotland? In early summer? What a surprise!!
OP Discolegs 08 Jun 2014
In reply to Dave Perry:

Yes, now i know My reference point was Lapland where they often appear around the midsummer depending on how the weather's been. But that's obviously much further to the north than Scotland.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...