UKC

Mind boggling vid: Ghisolfi on Change 9b+

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ericinbristol 12 Apr 2021

This is quite something. Get a cup of coffee, settle in. And watch this route go on. And on. And on. It's gripping. The long continuous shots really work, as it makes it feel like you are there, watching. As for the "easy" sections - pfft...

youtube.com/watch?v=l8AETvINyAk&

climberchristy 12 Apr 2021
In reply to ericinbristol:

Enjoyed that. Thanks for posting. 

Boomer Doomer 12 Apr 2021

There were about 10 feet of that I could do... I just wouldn't be able to get to them! A fantastic achievement and beautifully filmed. A lot quieter than Adam... when his feet slipped on the 2nd crux I think I screamed louder than he did. I've got sweaty palms now... thanks for the post.

My gosh, yeah that route really does just keep going! Incredible

henwardian 12 Apr 2021
In reply to Boomer Doomer:

> There were about 10 feet of that I could do... I just wouldn't be able to get to them!

With a line of bolts and a clipstick, you can get to anything

Great vid. I was thinking I'd seen it before and then he said "and then I fell... just kidding" and I remembered I have definitely watched it before, still worth a second watch though I'd say.

Not for the first time I was thinking "y'know, that roof still looks pretty hard above him, it seems like the route could easily keep going for another 20 or 30 metres (Gorge du Tarn style if you like).

What a great video, thanks for posting it.

Boomer Doomer 12 Apr 2021
In reply to henwardian:

> With a line of bolts and a clipstick, you can get to anything

I'm not sure what style that would be in... but it definitely wouldn't be graceful.

> Not for the first time I was thinking "y'know, that roof still looks pretty hard above him, it seems like the route could easily keep going for another 20 or 30 metres (Gorge du Tarn style if you like).

Yeah... Half-a-job Bob if you're asking me?!  

DannyC 13 Apr 2021

That was an amazing watch. Mind-bending levels of concentration and endurance. Even the ‘rests’ looked nails! 

Yet (as someone who doesn’t do much sport and is a fan of topping out) I have to admit that the sudden arrival of the chains in the middle of such a huge roof came with a bit of a jolt. It made the whole incredible achievement seem kind of comically arbitrary. Does anyone know if the climbing stays hard above? I imagine he must surely be reaching the limits of rope length and drag by then anyway.

Anyway, thanks for sharing. Really enjoyed it and it gave a really good picture of the ginormous scale of the cave.

CurlyStevo 13 Apr 2021
In reply to DannyC:

There's lines on malham that are like that too. If its possible I suppose someone will extend it one day.

In reply to CurlyStevo:

? Malham?!!!!??? I don't remember Malham overhanging anything like that ...

OP ericinbristol 13 Apr 2021
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

CurlyStevo means lines that end at a rather arbitrary point part way up the cliff

Toccata 13 Apr 2021

That really is a good watch!

Michael Hood 13 Apr 2021
In reply to Boomer Doomer:

> There were about 10 feet of that I could do... 

I saw some holds that I thought I might be able to use - as long as I was dangling from something well fixed 😁

What isn't apparent from the video is how steep it all is, except that nearly every time he goes for a clip, it's hanging out further than you realise.

The other thing is that it's not apparent (from the video) where the route actually goes - several times I thought "it must go up that crack/feature" but no, it went across a section of blankness instead, and it's looooooong.

Further pitches to climb out of the cave would be amazing, but if they're anything like Malham, then they'll be 3 whole grades harder than the bits to get there - so maybe there's a few potential 10b pitches up there.

Toccata 13 Apr 2021
In reply to Michael Hood:

I'll echo this. If you haven't been there you can't comprehend the steepness as I've yet to see any footage the gets either the scale or the steepness of the place across.

GrahamD 13 Apr 2021

Bloody he'll! Just putting in the draws must have been a project and a half in its own right.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...