UKC

new research on climbers/environment

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 control freak 04 May 2011
I've just seen this and thought people might be interested

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-2664.2011.01992.x/full

(can't see another thread on it...)
 Brannock 05 May 2011
In reply to control freak: Theres been a few other papers looking at this sort of thing, Kuntz and Larson 2006, is probably the most interesting.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1523-1739.2006.00367.x/abstrac...
 Simmy 05 May 2011
In reply to Brannock:

Was climbing the day of the Royal wedding up Shepherds Crag and have not climbed there for about six years as I usually avoid the crowds. Did Ardus which was an old favourite of old.

Only to find at the first belay climbers had started scratching there names and a date into the rock...... I mean what kind of moron is still doing this kind of thing.

In reply to control freak: Nice! I wanted to do something like this for my dissertation next year, just this morning had a chat with my supervisor who said that it would be in a literature review style, so needed to find papers and journals to use and these 2 come up! Brilliant!

Cheers! Dunc
 Banned User 77 05 May 2011
In reply to Duncan Campbell: That's the way they've gone now. We expect our students to critically analyse rather than simply review, and test hypotheses - in away it's now more difficult than the old lab based final year projects. It'd make a good dissertation project though.
 Brannock 05 May 2011
In reply to Duncan Campbell: I did something like this (looking at the impact of Scottish mixed winter climbing on cliff face vegetation in Sneachda and Carn Etchnan) for my undergraduate geography dissertation (handed in month or two ago).

Its an interesting topic, though there is not a huge amount of other work out there (very little for winter climbing) so im not sure how well it would work as a lit review...

If you want to know any more PM me.

In reply to Brannock and IainRUK: Cool cheers for the input guys, any papers that may be relevant would be greatly recieved. If it ends up that I do write my dissertation on this subject, I am actually looking forward to it, which means I might do more work than guidebook reading!

Dunc
In reply to IainRUK: Do you lecture at Bangor? just seen that you live in Nant Peris...
In reply to Duncan Campbell: I'm post doccing, so have some teaching responsibilities, lecture on a couple of modules, have a tutorial group and normally supervise a few dissertation students a year.
In reply to Duncan Campbell: The main thing is approach it open minded, being a climber don't be defensive of the sport, be balanced.

I just had a student do an essay on dolphin assisted therapy, something she thought she wanted to do. The science supporting it is poor and its very questionable (both in terms of positive impact and animal welfare), but to her credit so approached it open minded and ended up changing her views on it. I was a bit concerned about her writing about it as I thought she was too close to the subject to remain objective but she did it well.
 efrance24234 05 May 2011
In reply to control freak: boaring
In reply to IainRUK: Yeah definately, thanks for the tips. much appreciated. :-D
 mcdougal 06 May 2011
In reply to control freak:

http://www.jstor.org/stable/1478965

Similar results in Switzerland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...