UKC

North facing rock around Bristol - dry on Saturday?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 pheotleyr 14 Feb 2013
Does anybody have a knowledgeable guess on the above - was thinking of heading to Shorncliff, Ban-y-Gor, Symonds Yat or Fairy Cave Quarry on Saturday. Conditions should be good for those except of the possibility of damp rock - I haven't been to any of those places in winter yet. There was some rain last night, but it should be dry from now on. Will the rock still be mostly wet on Saturday?
 The Ivanator 14 Feb 2013
In reply to pheotleyr: Having tried FCQ in winter before I'd guess that there is likely to be at least some residual wetness on most of the slabs. The paths at SY are likely to be horrible even if the rock is dry. Shorncliff is probably a better bet, dries reasonably in winter when there is less tree cover, upper half of the routes often bone dry even when there are some damp holds lower down. I imagine some of the more open areas of Ban-y-Gor would be fairly dry too, although I've not climbed there in winter. Mandela Buttress and Main Cliff get a reasonble amount of light and breeze.
OP pheotleyr 14 Feb 2013
In reply to The Ivanator: Thanks Ivan, that's very helpful information!
In reply to pheotleyr: We climbed at Wyndcliff left crag today, and usually that dries very quick as it catches the sun. However, by the end of the day there were still wet patches and some wet holds, although it was all climbable. That would suggest the north-facing areas aren't going to be the best of choices tomorrow. Wyndcliff left or right would both be okay, and there are some excellent long (c.40m) single pitch routes in the HS to HVS range with the bonus of some sun, if there is any showing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...