UKC

Old man of Stoer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Drew52 03 May 2018

Hi,

Can anyone give some information on what month the old man is most likely to be bird free?

Thanks

ring ouzel 03 May 2018
In reply to Drew52:

Autumn and Winter so from about September to March. Although if the summer is warm or spring comes early then birds may be there in September and March too.

dasc 03 May 2018
In reply to Drew52:

I was up last week and there was little bird activity,there was some fouling of the rock but not extensive.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/132854987@N03/39996793180/

MikeR 03 May 2018
In reply to Drew52:

I don't recall them being an issue when we did it in June a few years ago. Don't know what the top pitch was like though, ended up retreating thanks to a thunder storm! Great route though (upto that point!).

ebdon 03 May 2018
In reply to Drew52:

Did it at easter a few years back bird free was feking cold though so made getting across a bit more exciting. Having seen am buachaille in July with a full complement of birds makes me think this is the preferable optiion though...

Andrew Lodge 03 May 2018
In reply to Drew52:

We did it in September, the thinking was the sea would be at it's warmest and most of the birds would have fledged.

This turned out to be accurate, there were a few birds around but they were not aggressive so nobody got puked on.

Michael Gordon 03 May 2018
In reply to Drew52:

Never had any problems early June. Think there's probably just fewer fulmars on that stack than some of the others.

veteye 03 May 2018
In reply to Drew52:

We did the VS route at about this time of year(Early May), and had a lovely day's weather-about the right temperature. Only one bird puked in my direction, but missed. My climbing partner did not get attacked at all.

We did not get much in the way of midges either.

OP Drew52 04 May 2018
In reply to Drew52:

Thanks for the info, folks.

is there a Tyrolean in place at present?

Trangia 04 May 2018
In reply to Drew52:

There is no permanent Tyrolean. You have to set up your own.

Pay Attention 05 May 2018
In reply to Drew52:

You should be bird free after July 31 as for most coastal climbs.

I made the mistake of climbing old Man of Hoy OMOH in June .  Had to throw away my jacket and also got amoebic dysentery  (or similar) from bird puke.

With regard to the OMOS check tides and times well beforehand.  You may be able to walk across to set the Tyrolean instead of talking your mate into swimming the  channel. 

OP Drew52 05 May 2018
In reply to Trangia:

i am aware there is no permanent Tyrolean, i am asking if there is one set up at present to the people who have been recently and left one in.

In reply to Drew52:

A reasonable question I thought.
There was one in place when I did it. (All be it a little worn)
Sent Mrs Rubberfeet over first.  She is half the weight of me.
We then backed it up, so "Lardy-boy" could cross.
Reverse on way out.
I have walked out to the cliff top on several other occasions over the years and seen a rope across a couple of times too.

Robert Durran 06 May 2018
In reply to Drew52:

> I am  aware there is no permanent Tyrolean, i am asking if there is one set up at present to the people who have been recently and left one in.

Whether or not there is one in situ when you arrive, please do your bit by making sure there is not one in situ when you leave. 

ebdon 06 May 2018
In reply to Robert Durran:

I would be pretty pissed off if i found an in situ rope here, half the fun is the approch! I didnt even know this was a thing people did. The coastal nature of the route makes it seem pretty stupid regardless of the ethical considerations.

dasc 06 May 2018
In reply to dasc: There were no ropes in situ when we were there on the 26th April.

David.

Post edited at 23:00
 Michael Gordon 07 May 2018
In reply to Drew52:

> i am aware there is no permanent Tyrolean, i am asking if there is one set up at present to the people who have been recently and left one in.

Hmmm, OK but unless someone plans to return the following day (in which case they would have to reply here immediately and you'd have to be extremely quick off the mark!), there won't be anything in place.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...