UKC

/ Old Timers anyone beat 50 years?

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Chris Craggs - on 05 May 2018

Today I have been climbing with Colin (the Hat) Binks for 50 years - I took him up Lichen Slab and Birch Tree Wall, at Brimham, in his farm boots, on the 5th May 1968. Today we did half a dozen routes at La Roche de Rame, near Briançon. I wonder if there are are any other teams out there who can match or even beat us?

Must raise a glass this evening

Chris

alan moore - on 05 May 2018
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Well done Both!

Think I met Colin at Scugdale recently although didn't know it until he pointed out his picture was in the guidebook. Might be the most photographed climber in Britain thanks to your good self?

Ive been climbing with my Dad for 30 years, although that'd be 38 years if you count scrambling and hillwalking.

50 is a good old stretch.

Grumpy Old Man - on 05 May 2018

I first climbed with Chris Jackson at Stoney Middleton on 2nd September 1962, three and a half years after I started climbing in April 1959, and I last climbed with him last Monday!  On the first occasion I Ied him up Gabriel and Fingle's Flue, which was then graded V.Diff even though the chimney up into the roof was as greasy then as it is today! I have been raising a glsss almost every evening since 1962!

Post edited at 17:18
Chris Craggs - on 05 May 2018
In reply to Grumpy Old Man:

55+ years - nice one. Looks like we can't retire just yet then

Chris

Post edited at 17:45
rgold - on 05 May 2018

I've been climbing for 61 years but my longest partnership is a mere 47 years, so well done lads!

Mike Rhodes - on 05 May 2018

Been climbing 60 years but have outlasted most old partners except one but we can only claim 56 years! First route climbed was Josephine in Ilkley Quarry. Watch the Tour of Yorkshire yesterday and it was great to see that it finished at the Cow and Calf. First route with my old partner was The Shroud on Black Crag in Borrowdale. 

Keep going Chris and maybe we will get to climb together in the Ariege some time.

overdrawnboy - on 05 May 2018

Just got in from fighting up Chicken Head Crack on Carn Barra with my best mate from school Mark Clyndes, we first climbed together on holiday at Bosi on Black Slab in 1972 so can only chalk up 46 years though there was hiatus from 1975 til last autumn, so not sure if it counts.

Dave Garnett - on 05 May 2018

Can’t yet match 50 years, but I’m climbing this weekend with a gang of people at least 7 of whom I first climbed with in 1976.

Martin Bennett - on 05 May 2018

Getting close. 46 years for me and Rob. And it's not over yet so maybe we'll get the half century. First route together was Mourning Glory at Cheddar. Most recent The Bernia Ridge, Cost Blanca last December.

Trangia on 06 May 2018

My first climbing partner and I started climbing in 1960. We climbed all over the UK in the Lakes, N Wales, Avon Gorge and Scotland including the Cuillin. We experimented with aid climbing on old chalk quarries in the Chilterns using long metal stakes and home made etriers. We made our first tentative sallies into the Austrian Alps learning about crevasse rescue the hard way, and climbing mountains like the Gross Glockner and Wildpsitze. Then tragically in 1967 he was killed in a car crash.

I am sure if he had lived we would have gone on to climb far and wide throughout the world as I have done, and when I have have stood on some crag in South Africa or outside my tent at Base Camp in the Himalaya, or high in the mountains of Corsica, I have raised my glass to Barry.

Writing this has made my eyes water........

Post edited at 09:05
jimtitt - on 06 May 2018

My brother and I will rack up the fifty this year but he´s got to wait until Christmas Day, I started before him

Robert Durran - on 06 May 2018
In reply to jimtitt:

> My brother and I will rack up the fifty this year but he´s got to wait until Christmas Day, I started before him

Surely partnerships start simultaneously by definition!

Stone Idle - on 06 May 2018

Mmm. I’ve done 55 years. That man Al Jackson, has given up climbing and is sailing. Cest la vie. Keep buggering on

Danm79 - on 06 May 2018

Nice one Chris - sounds like an excellent use of 50 years.

As a relative newcomer I'd be interested to know, how does the appeal of climbing compare now to when you first discovered it?

wbo - on 07 May 2018
In reply to Danm79:  after a mere 30 or so i was going to say its just the same, but actually i think it might be even better

Chris Craggs - on 07 May 2018
In reply to Danm79:

> As a relative newcomer I'd be interested to know, how does the appeal of climbing compare now to when you first discovered it?

I have actually been climbing for 53 years and was pretty obsessed for about the first 35 of those. I have mellowed in the more recent past - but there is still absolutely nothing I like more than quality routes on good rock with good company.

Chris

Post edited at 08:50
Danm79 - on 07 May 2018

That's good to hear. I'm still in the honeymoon period, (3 years) - since the first time out though I've been utterly enchanted by the whole thing. 

Dare you contemplate what your life's obsession would have been had there been no climbing??

Chris Craggs - on 07 May 2018
In reply to Danm79:

Not really, I have dabbled in most of the other outdoor activities but none really did it for me,

Chris

Alan Rubin - on 07 May 2018

I'm at 55 years. Actually first climbed with rgold who posted up thread for the first time in 1964, though we haven't climbed together in decades. I first climbed with Ed Ward at Devil's Lake, Wisconsin in '65 or '66, last time I climbed with him was yesterday afternoon in our local gym (it was a rainy day!!!).

uphillnow - on 07 May 2018

I started climbing in 1959 but the longer partnerships I have had are more like 35 years. I have climbed more recently with people I climbed with from the very early 1960's but after a long gap where we were in touch but didn't climb together.

steveriley - on 07 May 2018

Nothing like, but you’ve brought back some fond memories of a trip to Roche de Rame in 1992 with an old friend I’ve not climbed with for maybe 15 years. We’re off to the Roaches this weekend

haworthjim on 07 May 2018

I would like to respectfully nominate the Steve Mawson/ Kieth Brown partnership who have climbed together for bloody years  and still share the same enthusiasm for the game as they have always done. 

Post edited at 22:41
johncook - on 08 May 2018

Started in July 1968 (Part of my apprenticeship involved a 1 week outdoor pursuits week. Was forced to go, but was instantly hooked!) Hit my peak in the early 80's, went down hill, bvut am now making a spirited return to the more challenging grades. I have used up a variety of partners (or been left behind by them) over the years. I now seem to be managing to climb with lots of lovely younger ladies and a few other grumpy old men!

Post edited at 12:42
Al Evans on 08 May 2018

I would have thought Mark and Rowland Edwards could or will beat that when they give up.

John Workman - on 08 May 2018

Me and my mate can manage 52 years. Its been my life's passion but he gave it up back in the 70's sometime more through lack of time.

We were pals from the ages of about 10.

At the time I wrote a poem to him [our relationship was purely platonic mind] that goes like this

Young men grow older - life changes.

Friendships grow colder - not intentionally

But untouched by such ravages

We keep in our hearts

Memories of days shared.

These things I know that you know

But I just wanted to say thanks

For the never to be forgotten memories -

From vertiginous rock faces to ice clad gullies.

About a year ago we met up again in a pub in Penrith and following that I've been out to Tenerife. We climbed some short bolted route and he managed fine on a fairly tight rope.

Our first routes were on Shepherds in the mid 1960's He's back in he UK at the moment and I'm hoping to take him up Troutdale Pinnacle this weekend - a route that he soloed in boots in the wet many moons ago. We're both 71 now.

Mel Turnbull on 08 May 2018

Hi I have climbed 62 years lots mates + my Son now my Grandson

jon on 08 May 2018
In reply to Al Evans:

> I would have thought Mark and Rowland Edwards could or will beat that when they give up.

When they grow up you mean, Al

Rog Wilko on 09 May 2018
In reply to Alan Rubin:

> I'm at 55 years. Actually first climbed with rgold who posted up thread for the first time in 1964, though we haven't climbed together in decades. 

I'm not sure that counts! Surely a real partnership needs at least one route together each year, doesn't it? When I've got half an hour to spare I must check my partnership with Debbie, which I think started in 1968. Come to think of it, perhaps there should be a special class for married couples. I'm unsure which is the greater achievement, climbing for 50 years with your mate or your wife.

Rog Wilko on 09 May 2018
In reply to johncook:

>  I now seem to be managing to climb with lots of lovely younger ladies and a few other grumpy old men!

Love to know how you manage that. The first bit, that is.

Al Evans on 11 May 2018
In reply to jon:

Mark and Rowland are still putting up new adventurous routes as they always have done, sharing leads often. Their current exploits at the new sea cliffs around the Benidorm area are an inspiration to all adventure climbers.

johncook - on 11 May 2018
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Lovely personality, sparkling wit, devilishly handsome, master of repartee, very rich, extremely fit, and no bad habits apart from telling lies about my finer points.

Honestly I have no idea how I come to be climbing mainly with attractive young women, perhaps it is because I am mostly harmless!

Post edited at 19:54

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.