UKC

Pembroke campsites and abseils

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 petegunn 18 Oct 2016
Hi
Has anyone got any first hand knowledge of the campsites at Porth Clais and Windmill Hill?
Also will a 50m static rope be ok for most areas or should I take our 75m?
Many Thanks
Pete
 spenser 18 Oct 2016
In reply to petegunn:

Not used either of the above campsites before. I can however recommend the Bosherston campsite (it's £3 a night, has portaloos), if you want to make pretensions towards civilisation the St Petrox site is good in dry weather (becomes a mud bath if wet, I doubt my local mountaineering club will stay there again after a particularly wet weekend last year), another good option is the campsite in Lamphey.
For north pembroke my uni club uses Glan-y-mor campsite which is pretty pleasant.
A 50m rope will get you into most areas without any issues.
 Phil1919 18 Oct 2016
In reply to petegunn:

I've stayed at Porth Clais a number of times. Its fine. Nice and flat, field boundaries to shelter behind, good access to St Davids, crags and the coast. Feels like a real holiday spot. No issues with showers/toilets. Prices ok.
 GrahamD 18 Oct 2016
In reply to petegunn:

I like Porth Clais. Plenty of space, good location. I can only think of one abseil (Mewesford) where we needed more than 50m abseil. Most are much shorter.
 d_b 18 Oct 2016
In reply to petegunn:

Porth Clais is a good site. There are a bunch of others nearby that are also good (not found a bad one yet!).

50m static should be adequate for that area.
OP petegunn 18 Oct 2016

Thanks all
 duchessofmalfi 18 Oct 2016
In reply to petegunn:

St Petrox is, as mentioned civilised

Boshterton is a great place and would be my first stop but it is pretty basic.

If someone thinks St Petrox bogs down in the wet they should see Boshterton! luckily the owner has a well equipped landrover for hauling cars out of the mud.
 spenser 18 Oct 2016
In reply to duchessofmalfi:

You're not really paying much at Bosherston so I would feel less hard done by!
Seeing a car sliding across the field at St Petrox toward my tent with me in it was a concerning moment august before last!
Lamphey has a gravelled over area where you can leave your car so only the campers are going to churn up the mud there.
 FreshSlate 18 Oct 2016
In reply to petegunn:

Have stayed at both but will weigh in on Windmill hill on the pembroke side as no one else has yet.

Has nice warm shower/toliet block and wasn't a mudbath when St. Petrox was. Not as ideal a location as Bosherton for walking to the pub but a much better equipped campsite if more expensive at a fiver per person per night.
 Slarti B 18 Oct 2016
In reply to petegunn:

We've stayed at Porth Clais 2 or 3 times and it is fine, Cleanest washrooms I think I have seen in a campsite and shortest walk to top of climbs.
Only thing is make sure you follow the rules, it also has the most signs I have seen in a campsite! In particular, if you arrive late at night make sure you fill in the registration form and ( If I remember correctly) payment.
 SuperLee1985 19 Oct 2016
In reply to petegunn:

Have used windmill hill many times and it is very nice.
Excellent showers and washrooms, a small kitchenette with sinks for washing up, fridge's, freezers and a microwave (although no kettle disappointingly).
As a bonus it's walking distance to Pembroke so you can enjoy the local ale houses.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...