UKC

Polished Rock

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 echo34 20 Jun 2022

I was recently in Athens and went up to the Acropolis, it was fascinating to see how polished the rock is up there, the flat (horizontal) walkways are like walking on an ice rink in places, (people were slipping over on flat surfaces) which got me wondering about the future of some crags. 
As climbing becomes more popular are we going to find some crags, particularly easily accessed/easy/classic areas become unusable due to extreme polish? 

which raises an interesting question of how long (if at all?) does it take for rock to recover if not climbed on? 

Tony Buckley 20 Jun 2022
In reply to echo34:

Your own evidence from the Acropolis suggests that recovery isn't going to happen at all.

So, get those classics done while you can!

T.

The Norris 20 Jun 2022
In reply to Tony Buckley:

Presumably the walkways of the acropolis haven't been left 'fallow', as per the OPs question of recovery 'if not climbed on'.

Mind you I can't imagine many people obeying rules to leave classics unclimbed to allow the rock to recover (if that is even possible).

In reply to echo34:

Long Climb (S 4a) suggests a very, very long time.

petwes 20 Jun 2022
In reply to echo34:

I remember the closure of the Portway under the Avon Gorge in the late 70's. (They blew up a lot of unknown Buttress). The Gorge is limestone and climbing traffic dropped considerably. My memory was that some of the polished holds significantly improved during that period before general access was resumed. Possibly due to acidic rainfall,

Peter

tehmarks 20 Jun 2022
In reply to echo34:

From the title, I assumed you were announcing a modern and relevant addition to the Classic/Hard/Extreme Rock lineage.

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 20 Jun 2022
In reply to petwes:

> I remember the closure of the Portway under the Avon Gorge in the late 70's. (They blew up a lot of unknown Buttress). The Gorge is limestone and climbing traffic dropped considerably. My memory was that some of the polished holds significantly improved during that period before general access was resumed. Possibly due to acidic rainfall,

> Peter

Yes, that came to my mind too. Some of the glassy classics on Central Buttress had returned to being pleasantly grippy - for a while. I believe they were closed for about five years?

Chris

blurty 21 Jun 2022
In reply to echo34:

You get the same issue on limestone bridleways. Continuous stretches of rock can be really polished and can be very tricky for MTB riders when wet.

I've often pondered taking a battery drill powered needle scabbler to some of the worst bits but never built up the courage.

ebdon 21 Jun 2022
In reply to blurty:

A weak acid would likely do the job a lot better, however I'm not sure this would be a particularly ethical approach!

Post edited at 15:52
 mutt 21 Jun 2022
In reply to echo34:

sea cliff limestone is never polished afaik. water dissolves limestone particularly well in the present of salt. perhaps that indicates a environmentally sensitive way of removing polish.

Jamie Wakeham 21 Jun 2022
In reply to mutt:

> sea cliff limestone is never polished afaik.

... Portland?

In reply to mutt:

Portland, Torquay.  Not sure what the Ormes are like these days haven't been for a while. Even some areas of Pembroke are showing signs so I think you are wrong.

wbo2 21 Jun 2022
In reply to mutt: Disappointingly limestones are pretty insoluble in seawater compared to fresh.   So seacliffs get plenty polished

blurty 21 Jun 2022
In reply to wbo2:

The soft limestone sea cliffs of Malta (& Gozo) are as sharp as a bastard, and seem to get re-sharpened every winter!

Must be the limestone type.

ebdon 21 Jun 2022
In reply to wbo2:

Shelled sea creatures would be quite upset if seawater dissolved them! 

GrahamD 21 Jun 2022
In reply to echo34:

I don't think limestone gets unusable due to polish, it's just harder to use.

OP echo34 22 Jun 2022
In reply to GrahamD:

Does this not lead to a situation where all the easily accessible/easier limestone routes become unusable for most people though? 

midgen 22 Jun 2022
In reply to echo34:

I don't see why. Harborough Rocks is pretty much uniformly glassy, but it's still perfectly climbable, even for beginners.

OP echo34 22 Jun 2022
In reply to ebdon:

> A weak acid would likely do the job a lot better, however I'm not sure this would be a particularly ethical approach!

In man made quarries is it still considered unethical? These areas would surely be ideal for the us as they get used regularly and are usually sport routes. I wonder if the ethical view will change in time 🤔

steveriley 22 Jun 2022
In reply to echo34:

Careful now, someone is reading this and taking you seriously. The one thing I've learned about rock is it doesn't grow back. Attempts to improve things are nearly always bodged.

ebdon 22 Jun 2022
In reply to echo34:

I guess it would be the chemical equivalent of chipping which most people would agree is totally unacceptable. 

GrahamD 22 Jun 2022
In reply to echo34:

> Does this not lead to a situation where all the easily accessible/easier limestone routes become unusable for most people though? 

A few, I guess, but most times polish only makes half a grade or so difference at most in lower grades (where I am), as holds tend to be positive and aren't so dependent on friction.

midgen 22 Jun 2022
In reply to echo34:

Maybe all the polished routes will help incubate the next generation of top level climbers....forcing them to get their footwork right early!

Duncan Bourne 22 Jun 2022
In reply to echo34:

one word Avon

(incidently how is Stoney these days?)

Post edited at 18:33
 petwes 22 Jun 2022
In reply to Gaston Rubberpants:

When Pembroke was first being developed the rock was like razors. A long weekend would leave you with bleeding fingertips, furry rope and rock shoes looking like they had been put on a belt sander. Three years later, after climbing at St Govans, all the gnarly bits had gone. 

Peter

Post edited at 19:02
 JimR 22 Jun 2022
In reply to echo34:

Plus all the worn out gear placements! It would  be interesting to get a view into the future and see what that holds for popular crags. Will Harrison’s be a beach in 100 years after all the traffic or will access be tightly regulated?  I suspect the future will be plastic and wouldn’t be totally amazed if popular crags get a protective coating!

mutt 23 Jun 2022
In reply to Jamie Wakeham:

portland is a way Above the sea. Can't see a lot of waves crashing over Blacknor

Moacs 23 Jun 2022
In reply to echo34:

Saw thread title.  Thought "That's an odd pick for the enxt in the Classic-Hard-Extreme series"

Removed User 23 Jun 2022
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

I don't think route has seen much traffic since the railway closed in 1970? My understanding of Laddow is that it is a heady mix of vegetation and polish. Tasty.

David Coley 23 Jun 2022
In reply to echo34:

As a Chudleigh fan, polish isn't really a problem, but just another experience. If you push your foot into the hold, rather and along it, it can't slip, however polished. (Easier said, than done.)

Rick Graham 23 Jun 2022
In reply to JimR:

> Plus all the worn out gear placements! It would  be interesting to get a view into the future and see what that holds for popular crags. Will Harrison’s be a beach in 100 years after all the traffic or will access be tightly regulated?  I suspect the future will be plastic and wouldn’t be totally amazed if popular crags get a protective coating!

I came across epoxy resined covered holds on a crag above lake como about 25 years ago.  Interestingly , the locals had chosen a relatively fine compound so the friction was probably comparable to the original smooth limestone.

Offwidth 23 Jun 2022
In reply to Removed User:

I pulled a foot thickness of turf off a hold on a Laddow route and the rock was polished underneath!

Removed User 23 Jun 2022
In reply to Offwidth:

If the holds are big enough to maintain a foot of turf - that sounds like my kind of climb!

Post edited at 14:48
 Offwidth 23 Jun 2022
In reply to Removed User:

Twas a mod.

skog 23 Jun 2022
In reply to steveriley:

> The one thing I've learned about rock is it doesn't grow back.

Limestone can.

OP: there seems to be a strong majority opposed to using acid to restore a rougher surface to polished limestone (I don't really agree, but if that's the consensus, so be it). So I instead suggest setting up ongoing water seepage from above, to hopefully build up some fresh new tufa.

wbo2 23 Jun 2022
In reply to echo34: Piton route at Avon was a polished horror with rotten pegs 40 years ago, but people still climb it now. 

I'm not sure what etching with acid is going to achieve - it will simply repolish in a few weeks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...