UKC

Raven Crag Langdale descent

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Exile 26 Apr 2019

I am aware that there was some rockfall last Autumn on the descent above Revelation, so, for those who have been there recently:

is this descent now settled and reasonably safe again?

Is the alternative abseil,(which I think is a little up slope from this,) doable on a single doubled up 60m rope?

Thanks in advance.

OP Exile 26 Apr 2019
In reply to Steve Clegg:

Thanks Steve

John Kettle 26 Apr 2019
In reply to Exile:

What the frcc update fails to mention is the hazards of the new abseil descent. It has a fair amount of loose rock both on it and above it which is very easy to dislodge:

On Wednesday having descended the original scramble, we were gearing up at the base of Revelation and had to dodge several high speed fist-sized blocks coming from the abseil as a party used it. When I spoke to them they had no idea they'd knocked anything down.

OP Exile 26 Apr 2019
In reply to John Kettle:

So you used the original descent in preference to the abseil? If so, what was it like?

Mike-W-99 26 Apr 2019
In reply to Exile:

We used the original descent last summer and don’t recall anything too alarming compared to some crags descent routes. Ymmv obviously.

Post edited at 21:55
 Mark Eddy 26 Apr 2019
In reply to Exile:

As John has said, the abseil brings with it some hazards. It's down a pretty crappy slope that retains water well, so after todays (and tomorrows) rain will be really unpleasant too.

The original descent is fine and in terms of difficulty, virtually unchanged. Exposure is considerable and is felt more than prior to the rockfall. I now always stay roped up for it and a belay can be fixed to protect it (medium wires).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...