UKC

River Avon turned green

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 pheotleyr 09 Mar 2014
As in the topic title. Anybody know why?

Been climbing in Avon Gorge regularly for 2 years now and for what I can remember, River Avon always was brown. Now today it was green and (I think also unlike ever before) one could see reflections in the water.

So this was my first day out after being sick for a week, was my perception bewildered or did anybody else notice this? Did I simply forget and it always looks like this when the sun is out properly?
 Choss 09 Mar 2014
In reply to pheotleyr:

Its Always an opaque shitty brown, but in some Lights it can seem different, like in this pic, but i Assure you it was actually opaque shitty brown.

http://i.imgur.com/RBhBM1y.jpg
 Dave Cundy 09 Mar 2014
In reply to pheotleyr:

We climbed Great Central Route yesterday afternoon and I though the river looked a bit different to normal (but couldn't put my finger on WHAT was different). So you are not deluded.
Perhaps there is more clean water coming down it than usual, due to the ground being waterlogged ? Anyway, it wasn't as s***y brown as it normally is.

PS. What a fab day for March !
 leland stamper 09 Mar 2014
In reply to pheotleyr:

Cycled down to riverfrom Leigh woods this evening. Didn't look noticeably different, but could well be the extra water still coming down.
 HappyTrundler 10 Mar 2014
In reply to Choss:

That's not the River Avon?!...
 Alex Winter 10 Mar 2014
In reply to pheotleyr:

I noticed that Peter -- definitely a different colour!

Glancing at the Dulux colour chart, I'd say it's changed from 'Anaemic Dog Shit Brown' to 'Leafy Cottage Green'.
 imkevinmc 10 Mar 2014
In reply to pheotleyr:

It's a practice run for Paddy's day on 17th. If Chicago can do it....
 Choss 10 Mar 2014
In reply to pheotleyr:

Im sat on banks of the Avon right now.

I can confirm that today it is opaque shitty brown.
 Gavin 10 Mar 2014
In reply to Choss:

It wasn't the remnants of a dye test from somewhere. The colour sounds about right. http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/01/12/article-1346551-0CBABF4A000005DC-...
 Mike Mead 10 Mar 2014
In reply to Gavin:

Yes, sounds like a burst of flourecein.
In reply to pheotleyr:

The colour is going to depend on the amount of sediment suspended in the water. At the moment we've got neap tides (small tidal range) meaning the turbid water from the Bristol channel doesn't push so far up river (if it does it may just be at the very top of the tide). We've also got a high flow coming down the river from all the rain, but most of the sediment has now dropped out of that as it's not rained heavily for a few days. I'd speculate, also, that as things have warmed up a bit, and the water will be heavily loaded with nutrients from agricultural run-off, that the green tinge may be algae.

The water in New Cut also looked a touch green today. At least a greeny sort of brown.
OP pheotleyr 10 Mar 2014
In reply to wurzelinzummerset and Mayaculpa:

thanks.
Just seems so unlikely this happens for the first time in two years without overly special reason. But still that explanation seems to make sense...
abseil 11 Mar 2014
In reply to pheotleyr:

> ..Anybody know why?

You can read something about the topic here:

http://www.webexhibits.org/causesofcolor/5.html

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...