UKC

Rock climbing on Gibraltar

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kim.mulji 19 Nov 2013
Has anyone got any up-to-date information on climbing on Gibraltar - i.e. access, guide(s) etc?
Tim Chappell 19 Nov 2013
In reply to kim.mulji:

I believe James Bond did a route there once, but I fear there was retro-bolting going on.

For good ethics in that part of the world you're looking to the apes.
 Doug 19 Nov 2013
In reply to kim.mulji: there's been several threads in the past, I think there's a local club (Gibraltar Climbing Association ?) while this group seem to offer guiding
http://www.barbaryrockadventures.com/climbingguided.php?pid=climbingguided&...
RCJ 19 Nov 2013
In reply to kim.mulji:

Theres some alright climbs here. If your thinking of the "north face" area then VERY VERY unlikely to get that!

but off Europa point theres a bit of Trad. Then theres a few bouldering/water soloing around the rock in certain places.

My last update a few months back was, due to amount of rock fall climbing was suspended on main routes.

Source: lived in Gib for a year... Well until 2 weeks time
 escalator 19 Nov 2013
In reply to kim.mulji:

Here is the situation in Gibraltar. Since the beginning of this year the
Government of Gibraltar have asked climbers not to climb in Gib until they
bring licences in. As the secretary of the Gibraltar Climbing Association
I have asked the climbers not to climb, and so far they have not done so.
We have had several meetings with the Environmental Officer that is dealing with this issue, and a few with the Minister of the Environment. At the last meeting the Minister agreed to have one of his officers do site visits so that the areas can be discussed and hopefully agreed. Strangely enough the site visits are taking place tomorrow. Needless to say there will then be more waiting while we introduce the licences.

So, for now there is no climbing in Gibraltar. The good news could be that by the
time we see the new year in it could be resolved. We certainly hope so as
there are some spectacular climbs here with some great exposure.

The law as it stands does allow for people to ask for written permission to climb. However, I have asked during the course of the year, and did not even receive a reply.

If you need any further info them pm me.

ES
 Ander 20 Nov 2013
In reply to kim.mulji: I've a copy of the guide from the 50's if you want it
 Al Evans 20 Nov 2013
In reply to kim.mulji: Don Whillans and Martin Boysen did a new route on the main face while I was there, I was there to film it but we never got permission.
 Andy Say 20 Nov 2013
 Toerag 20 Nov 2013
In reply to escalator: Have the BMC been involved? They do seem to ignore those of us 'offshore' a bit. Good to see you working with your government, and good luck!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...