/ Rock shoe advice for an injured foot.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
GregGray on 12 Dec 2012
After being injured in a climbing accident last September I am recovering well ready to get begin getting back into the sport. I am now looking for a pair of shoes that will all me to do so. Considering my injuries- I now have a rod in my tibia, a skin graft over the front of my ankle, and a broken toe that has set wonky, I am looking for the following in a pair rock shoes:
• The residual swelling will take 6 to 12 months to subside so really I am looking for a left size 8 and a right 8.5 or even 9.
• My smallest toe a reset its self quite badly meaning it sticks out a bit, a shoe with room to allow for this would be more comfortable
• Something that will cover more of my ankle and avoided rubbing on the fragile grafted skin. Show in the photos:

Im considering something like the evolve astroman, La sportive TC pro or the five ten grandstone.
Expense is another consideration, (student budget)
Does anyone have any experience of similar cases or advice of which companies to approach first?
Even suitable second had shoes would be worth considering.
Any helpful advice is appreciated!
jkarran - on 12 Dec 2012
In reply to GregGray:

Without wishing to seem dismissive or unhelpful why not go to a shop and try them all on, see what works for you. Shoes with laces down to the toes should help relieve pressure on the wonky toe. They'll also allow you to fine tune the fit as and when the swelling goes down. Socks will help protect your graft from rubbing. I guess your feet are quite weak so a quite stiff supportive shoe might be the best bet to begin with.

GregGray on 17 Dec 2012
sounds good. does anyone know which companies do may do an odd pair?
jkarran - on 17 Dec 2012
In reply to GregGray:

Do you need a pair or just a shoe to go on your bad foot while it heals? You could try asking on here for what you need for that foot, people tend to wear one shoe out first, I can't be the only one with a load of part worn right (or left) boots knocking about because the matching left is ruined.

ashley1_scott - on 17 Dec 2012
In reply to GregGray:

The only company that I can think of that advertise supplying different size shoes are Andrea Boldrini, but that is if you go direct to them (made in France).
However having just got a pair thru BananaFingers, they would not suit your needs in other ways. They are very snug fit, yet comfortable.
astley007 - on 17 Dec 2012
In reply to GregGray:
go and see a recommended podiatrist for an first consultation, then after discussion go back with some rock boots you have purchased and they can then help you with best fit/comfort
jon on 17 Dec 2012
In reply to GregGray:

After my foot got crushed in a rockfall it was enormous. I needed a temporary shoe just to last a few months while the swelling went down. I bought the cheapest pair I could from Decathlon, about size 45 - I normally take 42 and wore one regular shoe on the good foot and the monster on the other. The shoes cost me about €25.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.