UKC

Rockfall: Helm Crag Easedale (Langdale Guidebook)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

There has been a substantial rock fall at Helm Crag Easdale. Several tons of rock have now joined their friends on the scree below. The routes of Bentley and Photon have been seriously effected and are currently in a dangerous state.

Jon Stewart 29 Nov 2020
In reply to Trevor Langhorne:

Thanks for posting.

And I'd always wanted to do those routes... ;0)

Lankyman 29 Nov 2020

Are the lion, lamb, howitzer and old woman playing the organ OK?

In reply to Lankyman:

The rockfall is located on a crag just above the floor of Easdale so Lion & Lamb isn't affected.

pec 29 Nov 2020

>The routes of Bentley and Photon have been seriously effected and are currently in a dangerous state.

If Bentley is affected does that mean the variation finish Bentley's Smarter Brother is affected?

Also, I can't find any route called Photon in my guide (the most recent Langdale guide, 2013 I think) and what about the route Pathfinder which shares the same start as Bentley?

Thanks.

In reply to pec:

Photon was climbed since the 2013 guide (2017) and its details are in the climbing area of the FRCC website and on p40 of the free-to-download 2018 FRCC New Routes Supplement that updates most of the Lakes Definitive Guides (not the recently published, Sport & Slate, Duddon which will be published early next year, or Dow & Eskdale). The supplement download link is in the climbing area. Checkout the FRCC website climbing area which details new routes and includes feedback about current routes and guides. It allows users to post new route descriptions and provide feedback on guides, crags and routes.

I haven't been to look at the damage to Helm Crag,  but from the photo of the fall on the FRCC website and the photodiagram in the guide it seems pretty clear that anything starting up Bently will be an 'exciting adventure' at the moment. 

Apparently the post wasn't showing the photo, don't know why, but now fixed.

pec 01 Dec 2020

OK great, thanks for the info.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...