UKC

Ron Fawcett - Body Machine video

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Karl Bromelow 20 Mar 2013
Apologies if this has been posted before but I saw it over my jam on toast this morning and thought I'd pop it on here. This was the video I had as a kid and I'm pleased to see it resurface at last. Thanks, Sam.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=DI5u95gMObc&feature=watch-vrec
 Mutl3y 20 Mar 2013
In reply to Karl Bromelow:
Brilliant. I particularly liked the bits when the normal people went up valk and right unconquerable.

And "there are 5 or 6 ladies that can climb E4 now and a couple that can probably climb E5" - How things change!
 EeeByGum 21 Mar 2013
In reply to Karl Bromelow: Here is the link for people not viewing on the mobile site:

youtube.com/watch?v=DI5u95gMObc&
 Cake 21 Mar 2013
Nice to see this spate of retro footage.

Something jumped out at me. Why did Geraldine Taylor put a Friend in at the top of Valkyrie? Anyone who has led the route would have seen it has a perfect nut placement these days, which I would always choose over a cam (and I can only assume those old solid-stemmed cams were less reliable). Was the placement not as good or were nuts not as well-shaped back then? Or was there perhaps more faith in cams back then?

I wasn't alive to know the answer in the 70s, you see

Cake
 Al Evans 21 Mar 2013
In reply to Karl Bromelow: Thanks I haven't seen that in years, I lost my copy. I was one of the two cameramen on it.
 Jonny2vests 21 Mar 2013
In reply to Al Evans:

Loads of Ron's stuff was recently posted to YouTube. The UKB crowd have really been digging through the archives posting classic TV from back in the day.
OP Karl Bromelow 21 Mar 2013
In reply to Al Evans:
> I was one of the two cameramen on it.

In that case Al, my thanks are due to you. This video was inspirational for me in my youth and to some extent lit the path I chose to walk for the rest of my life. Rock climbing has taken me to some sublime places and introduced me to some wonderful people. Cheers, mate. Karl

hms 21 Mar 2013
In reply to Karl Bromelow: But what are the routes?
 mikekeswick 22 Mar 2013
In reply to hms:
> (In reply to Karl Bromelow) But what are the routes?

Great video!
Come on they are all classics!
 Jonny2vests 22 Mar 2013

Down climbing Great West Road, like its a diff....
 robandian 22 Mar 2013
In reply to Jonny2vests:
> (In reply to Karl Bromelow)
>
> Down climbing Great West Road, like its a diff....

and its not bright green like today - I'm looking forward to someone unearthing the Steve Bancroft film of him climbing London wall -he got to the last couple of moves on a damp, dank day when London Wall was big news. Anyone seen that one?

In reply to robandian: Saw it many years ago, wasn't that the one where he was trying to dry the holds with a blowlamp first?
 DaveH70 24 Mar 2013
In reply to Karl Bromelow: Brilliant and thanks for finding this. Don't know why but found it far more inspirational than a lot of newer films. Also at 20:20 it's good to see the best of them crawl and belly flop over the top sometime! lol
 hms 26 Mar 2013
In reply to mikekeswick: I'm sure they are. I also know they aren't in areas where I've climbed much if at all, so I don't happen to know what they are and would greatly appreciate it if someone could tell me!
 JamButty 26 Mar 2013
In reply to Karl Bromelow: The video that got me into climbing, many thanks for that.
I had the VHS but when I dug it out a couple of years back the tape had rotted!!

Just had a great 1/2 hr!!

Mutl3y 26 Mar 2013
In reply to hms:
Don't know the first bit of limestone that Ron and his missus climb.

The other lady then leads Valkyrie, Froggatt, HVS.

Ron then does LHS of Technical Master, v4, descent of Great West Road, E2, Technical Baiter, v1 (and down again), and Edge Lane, E5, all Millstone.

Ron's punter mate climbs Right Unconquerable, Stanage, HVS

Ron then climbs Strapadictomy, Froggatt, E5, an unknown crack, BAW's Crawl, Stanage, HVS, Coventry Street, Millstone, E5, and some more limestone.

cragtyke 26 Mar 2013
In reply to Mutl3y: The other lady is Geraldine Taylor, the first route is Original Route at High Tor HVS, and Ron's punter mate, who i'm sure will be delighted at being described as such, is Geoff Birtles.
 jon 26 Mar 2013
In reply to Mutl3y:

> Don't know the first bit of limestone that Ron and his missus climb

Wasn't it Bastille on High Tor, then Gill leads Original Route?

> and some more limestone.

Well, that was Body Machine. Gritstone climbers, eh!

Mutl3y 26 Mar 2013
In reply to jon: haha was it!?

Yeah man, I do love the grit.
 hms 27 Mar 2013
In reply to Karl Bromelow: thanks chaps - much appreciated

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...