UKC

Saffres

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jon 02 Jun 2023

A bit of a long shot really, does anyone have an old guidebook to Saffres - from the mid 80s !? I'm after the modern names for a couple of routes back then. Just to explain, routes at Saffres have always had numbers (from R > L !) and inevitably these have to change from time to time as newer routes are added - there are now about 350 routes. They have now mostly (all?) been given names. I'm after the names for routes 20 and 22 from the old guidebook.

Thanks  

Rog Wilko 03 Jun 2023
In reply to jon:

I might just have something at home but can’t access for a week. Will look later if you don’t get the info by then. 

OP jon 03 Jun 2023
In reply to Rog Wilko:

That would be great, Rog. I managed to find someone with a 1990 edition but the names/numbers I'm after are the same as the current book. It's really prior to 86 that I need !

earlsdonwhu 03 Jun 2023
In reply to jon:

Will look when home on Thursday.

OP jon 04 Jun 2023
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

Thank you.

Martin Hore 04 Jun 2023
In reply to jon:

Just checked mine. It's the 1993 edition (by Gerbet and Wiedmer - with photos of the developers bolting off ladders on the back cover) so probably no use - sorry.

I've had several great days climbing at Saffres on the journey out or back from the Alps.

Martin

In reply to jon: Any good Jon?. Looks like mine is the 1988 edition - routes r to l.

OP jon 05 Jun 2023
In reply to Mark Glaister - Assistant Editor:

Thanks Mark. Still the same as the current book... I guess unless a pre 86 book is different (which is beginning to look unlikely), I'll have to accept that I stopped off on the way to Buoux at a 30m high, 500m long crag, and did two 8m routes, hidden by vegetation at the far righthand end of the crag !! Unlikely but possible, I suppose... cheers.

Rog Wilko 10 Jun 2023
In reply to jon:

> …..at a 30m high, 500m long crag, and did two 8m routes, hidden by vegetation at the far righthand end of the crag 

sounds a bit like me.

Should be home tomorrow night - will look out my guide, if I remember.

OP jon 10 Jun 2023
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Thanks Rog !

Rog Wilko 11 Jun 2023
In reply to jon:

My copy is dated August 1993, so no use to you.

OP jon 12 Jun 2023
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Thanks all the same Rog !

earlsdonwhu 12 Jun 2023
In reply to jon:

My copy seems to have gone missing...but may have been the 93 version. Sorry.

OP jon 12 Jun 2023
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

Thanks, oh well.....

OP jon 13 Jun 2023
In reply to earlsdonwhu, Rog, Mark, Martin:

Mystery solved - my 20 and 22 refer to the routes on the Tour Carré which has its own numbering system, independent of the main crag. Thanks again.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...