UKC

Seamstress largest piece of gear ??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Monkeysee 24 May 2019

His all , looking at checking out some (Mainly sports routes) this Sunday but I also fancy a crack at the seamstress 😉

Can anyone tell me if it's worth carting large cams and cow bells around all day or is it a really thin crack ? Cheers 

In reply to Monkeysee:

There is a bomber red camalot, which is the biggest piece. 

Monkeysee 24 May 2019
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

OK cheers thanks very much for the reply , save me hauling the El cap rack round all day

Max Hangs 24 May 2019
In reply to Monkeysee:

There are also 2 bomber slings at the top for the belay...

Edit: not in situ!

Post edited at 22:41
 ffati 25 May 2019
In reply to Max Hangs:

Slings!?? Don’t you just mean use the rope tied to your waist? Never understood this use slings business 

afshapes 26 May 2019
In reply to ffati:

Slate is sharp,  might not want to expose your rope to too much of it.  

ffati 26 May 2019
In reply to afshapes:

The block that’s been polished smooth by 30 years of belays?

MischaHY 26 May 2019
In reply to Monkeysee:

> OK cheers thanks very much for the reply , save me hauling the El cap rack round all day

Honestly in good humour but I did giggle at this. Serengeti is at worst a 10-15min walk in! 

Fantastic route though. Seams the Same (E1 5b) is basically a thinner version of Seamstress. Bomber wires and one tricky move. Go on, you know you want to...

The9inger 26 May 2019
In reply to Monkeysee:

Gear is a plenty on the route, however, probably wouldn't bother carrying any cams as a set of nuts is enough.

ianstevens 26 May 2019
In reply to MischaHY:

> Honestly in good humour but I did giggle at this. Serengeti is at worst a 10-15min walk in! 

10-15 mins at best! With a "bit" of a hangover it can easily take 25... 

Monkeysee 26 May 2019
In reply to MischaHY:

I also found your reply funny 😂

I know it's not that far , but I said I was going bolt clipping for 95% of the day and only wanted to climb the one trad route !     / hence not wanting to cart the whole trad rack around all day if it's only small wires 😉  cheers 

Monkeysee 26 May 2019
In reply to ianstevens:

Hungover and 15 sports routes later ,,,,

it was a 6 hour approach ! 😥

Monkeysee 26 May 2019
In reply to The9inger:

Thanks for the reply , much appreciated 😎

Max Hangs 26 May 2019
In reply to ffati:

Honestly, I just find slings far less faffy to adjust than the rope. Being a grit climber mainly, you chuck a rope round a block and it's then impossible to adjust as the rope sticks to the block!

Even pulling rope round a slate block will cause more wear as you adjust it...better to wear my krab instead (and easier).

Post edited at 12:24
 ffati 26 May 2019
In reply to Max Hangs:

But if slate is that sharp surely you would be worried about it cutting if your seconds weight came on to you? 

Max Hangs 26 May 2019
In reply to ffati:

The sling? No. If the rope's not gonna cut, nor is a sling.

That said, I do usually double it over (and I may back it up if I can't double it over, but this is mainly for nervous partners!).

Slings are bomber in the same way rope is as far as I'm concerned. Regular inspection of both is advisable.

Edit: there may be blocks so sharp that I wouldn't trust a rope *or* sling, of course.

Post edited at 13:48
 gravy 02 Jun 2019
In reply to Max Hangs:

I don't recall anything much wider than a couple of fingers that is useful on seamstress of seems-the-same. I think a small hex might found a place.  I don't recall anywhere for monster gear.

EarlyBird 02 Jun 2019
In reply to Monkeysee:

Couple of micro wires might be useful lower down. Otherwise small to medium wires and a red camalot for higher up.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...