UKC

Slab Climbing 'versus' Dry Tooling

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sl@te Head 07 Nov 2013
Two recently posted news items / videos

The One for slab climbing has 883 views on here at the time of posting

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=68487

The Dry Tooling one has 4477 views

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=68469

I'm massively into slab climbing myself and am aware that it's rarely in vogue, but I can't understand why 'dry tooling' would draw so much more attention than what looks like a superb technical climb.

Madden 07 Nov 2013
In reply to Sl@te Head: Well for starters, the slab climbing article isn't on the front page... Plus it's not an article, as such... More 'here's a video'. There was a brief article to accompany to the dry tooling video.

Plus, it's one of the hardest dry tooling routes there is. Not that anybody particularly knew that, but they do now, so it MUST be impressive.
 Michael Gordon 07 Nov 2013
In reply to Sl@te Head:

I would guess many more folk have heard of 'Greg Boswell' and 'The Works'.
 Dave 88 07 Nov 2013
In reply to Sl@te Head:

I suspect, like myself, about 2000 people didn't know what the hell a 'D' grade was. The other 2000 wanted to see a ukc dry tooling bun fight.
 Michael Gordon 07 Nov 2013
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Stuff closer to home will usually be of more interest also
 Misha 07 Nov 2013
In reply to Sl@te Head:
Slab climbing is boring to watch.
 Dean177 07 Nov 2013
In reply to Misha:
Is not.
Drytooling is boring to watch.
 JIMBO 07 Nov 2013
In reply to Dean177: what about dry slab tooling?
 teflonpete 07 Nov 2013
In reply to Misha:
> (In reply to ian Ll-J)
> Slab climbing is boring to watch.

I'd agree with that. I enjoy climbing slabs but watching people climbing steep stuff is far more entertaining than watching them climb slabs, there's just more shapes going on.
Wiley Coyote2 08 Nov 2013
In reply to Sl@te Head:
If that's a slab I have to reassess my definition of a slab.
 Dan Arkle 08 Nov 2013
Is it because Greg gets his top off, and is easier on the eye? no,, wait... er
 frqnt 08 Nov 2013
In reply to Sl@te Head:
I like how you've made such a tangible comparison between two seemingly incomparable realms of climbing.

And you've bought my attn. to something I probably would not have watched otherwise (the Paige Claassen link that is).

Kudos.
 CurlyStevo 08 Nov 2013
In reply to Sl@te Head:
Do you actually think people visit this site mainly to pleasantly discuss climbing?
 Martin Hore 08 Nov 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:
> (In reply to ian Ll-J)
> Do you actually think people visit this site mainly to pleasantly discuss climbing?

Yes, that's exactly why I visit this site, and fortunately there seem to be enough like-minded posters to generate some excellent discussions.
 CurlyStevo 08 Nov 2013
In reply to Martin Hore:
It was meant as a tongue in cheek comment, but still I think the reason the dry tooling thread got many many more hits is because a lot of people were rubber necking to see if there was an argument going on.
 GrahamD 08 Nov 2013
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Dry tooling is a significant part of a huge ethical debate going on in one of the UK's most popular climbing area.

Someone climbing a slab in Italy isn't.
Wiley Coyote2 08 Nov 2013
In reply to Sl@te Head:
Having problems getting my head round what an 8c slab could even look like (as it turns out, a steep wall) I was keen to have a look but god she's irritating' which would not have stopped anyone going to the video once but it may have stopped many replays
 SGD 08 Nov 2013
In reply to Sl@te Head: thanx for pointing me in the direction of this.
andyathome 08 Nov 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:
> (In reply to Martin Hore)
> It was meant as a tongue in cheek comment, but still I think the reason the dry tooling thread got many many more hits is because a lot of people were rubber necking to see if there was an argument going on.

+1
 BelleVedere 08 Nov 2013
In reply to andyathome:

Yeah that - and GB topless

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...