UKC

Slawston Bridge conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 justdoit 04 May 2021

hi

could anyone tell me how quick it dries out after rain at  Slawston Bridge.

tar 

nikoid 05 May 2021
In reply to justdoit:

I haven't been there for years, but used it a fair bit when I lived in Leicester. I would say it is quick drying and can't remember ever going there and not being able to climb. I left Leicester in 1984 so memories may have faded, but I remember there were some good pubs nearby!

Probably not the most useful reply, but since no one else has replied maybe better than nothing. 

maxsmith 05 May 2021
In reply to justdoit:

...pretty quickly especially if there's a bit of wind.  Some areas seep a bit but you can just pick and choose.  Looking at the forecast I'd say it will be damp-ish Thursday night but pretty good Friday.

nikoid 05 May 2021
In reply to justdoit:

I just remembered something else. On top of the bridge there is a course of heavy coping stones. Some of them have slots in that you can get your fingers in to use as you top out. We were always worried about how well fixed they were and maybe they could pull out. They must have weighed at least 50kg so if one of those landed on you, game over. 

OP justdoit 05 May 2021
In reply to nikoid:

good to know 

cheers 

veteye 05 May 2021
In reply to justdoit:

It generally dries out reasonably quickly. 

You may wish to know that sometimes the nettles grow up a fair bit on either side of the bridge buttresses,(though different climbers do cut them back at times with lawn mower or strimmer) so not always the best idea to turn up in shorts: But then it is not the warmest May that we have had. 

Post edited at 21:29
 rurp 06 May 2021
In reply to justdoit:

Dries really quickly in the sun or wind. The side of the bridge in the sun will be climbable quickly 

If descents are wet on grass and mud in rock boots are a bit sketchy. 

scariest bit when soloing is walk down when wet!!

Michael Hood 06 May 2021
In reply to nikoid:

I seem to remember that some of those nice finishing slots didn't drain dry so needed a bit of time to dry out by evaporation.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...