UKC

Snowdonia Single pitch routes with Abseils

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alastairbegley 04 Aug 2012
hi,
It may seem like an odd request but are there any snowdonia crags which have routes at VS/HVS which are single pitch which you can ab off to remove gear while also having easy routes at diff/vdiff for begineers?
As I may be heading there next weekend and it would be fantastic to get a couple of routes in, though I need to be able to remove the gear on abseil as my partner wouldn't be able to climb at vs/hvs so I need to be able to clean the route on descent! But at the same time if we are going to go to a crag there has to be climbs that she can do! any suggestions?

cheers

foxy
 payney1973 04 Aug 2012
In reply to Foxy: Two that spring to mind are London crag on the ogwen valley, and I can't remember the crag name but it's in the cromlech area on the llanberis pass, opposite side of the road from the boulders above the s bend towards pen y pass.

Hope this helps

Lee
 colina 04 Aug 2012
In reply to Foxy: london crag has wot you need with a short flat easy walk in of about 5 minutes.(park at the first camp site on the left coming from capel curig at the foot of tryfan) top roping may be available on some routes with a little messing.
crow-media 04 Aug 2012
In reply to Foxy:

Red Slab-Gallt yr Ogof (CC Ogwen guide) Beautiful rough red dolorite with a quiet,sunny aspect Most routes VS-E1 with abbing points at the top.
 David Hooper 04 Aug 2012
In reply to Foxy: holyhead mountain,tremadog upper tier,Craig case fraith(sic) behind the farm campsite in Ogwen.cyrau crags above betws. Craig tonneau near dolwydellyn.
 Landy_Dom 04 Aug 2012
In reply to payney1973:

Lee - are you thinking of Brant Direct?
 Rob Davies 08 Aug 2012
In reply to payney1973: London Crag? 40 years of climbing in Ogwen and I've never heard of Craig Llundain.
In reply to Rob Davies:

Guessing it's a local name for Tryfan Bach, perhaps since it's usually 2 or 3 deep in Londoners?
In reply to payney1973:
> (In reply to Foxy) Two that spring to mind are London crag on the ogwen valley, and I can't remember the crag name but it's in the cromlech area on the llanberis pass, opposite side of the road from the boulders above the s bend towards pen y pass.

This will be Dinas Bach, on the south side of the Pass, a little way up from the Cromlech Boulders. A quintessential little one pitch crag, unique in that respect in the Pass. I have a very vague recollection that it did actually have some connection with one of the London clubs, and may even have had that nickname.

The other very good single pitch crag I can think of is Bochlwyd Buttress in the Ogwen Valley.

Andy Say 09 Aug 2012
In reply to Rob Davies:
> (In reply to payney1973) London Crag? 40 years of climbing in Ogwen and I've never heard of Craig Llundain.

London Crag is the crag behind the London MC hut at Gwern Gof Isaf - otherwise known as 'Willy's Crag' I believe. Definitely in Ogwen! (Indeed its in the new Ogwen guide...)
 Joss 09 Aug 2012
In reply to Rob Davies:
> (In reply to payney1973) London Crag? 40 years of climbing in Ogwen and I've never heard of Craig Llundain.

London Crag = Craig Caseg Fraith Isaf, the inhabitants of the London Club (whose hut is nearby) were never going to be able to pronounce that one!!

Good crag for what the OP asked for.
 Rob Davies 10 Aug 2012
In reply to Joss: It's actually the London University MC hut. I used to belong to that club and wouldn't have had a problem with pronouncing Craig Caseg Fraith. It was good to see a proper description of the climbs in the most recent CC Ogwen guide.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...