UKC

Socks or not when wearing climbing shoes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 subtle 18 May 2018

Further to a comment on another thread do you wear socks when wearing climbing shoes?

I never have, always barefoot, just because, well, just because!

Do you wear socks or not when climbing then?

Jon Greengrass 18 May 2018
In reply to subtle:

only when I need to keep my feet warm

Hat Dude 18 May 2018
In reply to subtle:

I started off with socks (big red woolly ones emulating Ron) then went sockless but for the last 3 or 4 years have gone back to wearing ordinary socks.

With hindsight this has had no effect on my climbing, I can still crank my way up diffs same as I always could

Post edited at 15:33
 Bulls Crack 18 May 2018
In reply to subtle:

I wear a very thin pair of sports/ankle socks. Partly because I have very narrow feet but  also because it's just kinder on them

LeeWood 18 May 2018
In reply to subtle:

Bare feet - but not inside a shoe :o

youtube.com/watch?v=ld_ml7Cpba0&

TonyB 18 May 2018
In reply to subtle:

I have worn socks inside my climbing shoes for the last 5 years or so. I honestly think it has no effect on my climbing and is more comfortable and hygienic. I do sometimes feel like a permagumby as I also wear a helmet sport climbing. 

In reply to subtle:

i sometimes wear socks. I recently found that wearing my shoes in a more relaxed fit with some woolly socks makes jamming my foot in cracks way more comfy, which means i can stay in the jam longer and this gives me more confidence.

That's my personal preference, for edging and smearing no socks is still the way to go. 

mrphilipoldham 18 May 2018
In reply to subtle:

Just normal socks for me. Stops both my shoes and feet smelling bloody awful. 

Lemony 18 May 2018
In reply to subtle:

How bad are the midges?

bouldery bits 18 May 2018
In reply to subtle:

Socks are for punters.

pneame 19 May 2018
In reply to subtle:

Always socks. One has to keep up appearances

string arms 19 May 2018
In reply to subtle:

Always socks along with a monocle and a waistcoat. Saville row for me, none of this moon nonsense.

Tom Valentine 19 May 2018
In reply to pneame:

Same with sandals.

All this no-socks-with-sandals is for Johnny Foreigner.

spartacus 19 May 2018
In reply to subtle:

I remember having a climbing partner who wore socks with climbing shoes. It didn’t work out as I could see his socks when he was leading. When he was seconding the problem wasn’t so bad. He would remove one of the socks when belaying, put it on his hand and do a passable impression of Emu,( the puppet of the late Rod Hull). It used to make changeovers annoying as ‘Emu’ would throw most of the gear over the edge and start fights.

I don’t have any other sock stories...

Do I win a prize for submitting the most facile and boring UKC post ever?

Wayne S 19 May 2018
In reply to subtle:

I find 70s style leg warmers the half way house here. Warm ankles but still can feel the edge.  I find these work particularly well with a bandana, a moustache is optional however.

HeMa 19 May 2018
In reply to bouldery bits:

> Socks are for punters.

Yes, Font 8a+ is indeed the punter grade. http://teamgoodchillaz.blogspot.fi/2014/04/lahiseutumatkaaja-kohtaa-localis...

Thin sports sock are all fine, even for harder cranking. And thicker ones on properly sized alpine rock shoes. No real hinderence, but on the bonus side the shoes won’t reek like a barrel full of rottien fish heads. 

Siward 19 May 2018
In reply to string arms:

Always socks on the ice, maybe over boots, for added adhesion on the verticals what? 

bouldery bits 19 May 2018
In reply to HeMa:

> Thin sports sock are all fine, even for harder cranking. And thicker ones on properly sized alpine rock shoes. No real hinderence, but on the bonus side the shoes won’t reek like a barrel full of rottien fish heads. 

Knew this'd happen....

BrendanO 21 May 2018
In reply to bouldery bits:

One sock. On your smaller foot...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...