UKC

Sou'wester slabs, approach from Glen Sannox.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ClareM.123 29 Apr 2014
This weekend myself and my climbing partner are going on a trip to the Isle of Arran (Scotland), the main aim of the trip is to get the classic rock tick of Sou'wester slabs. I was wondering if anyone had any tips for approaching from the glen sannox valley rather than the usual Glen Rosa approach. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
 Chris Harris 29 Apr 2014
In reply to ClareM.123:

Two options, both with their merits & demerits.

Straight up Glen Sannox. Bear left at the top of the Glen to the saddle between Cir Mhor & North Goat Fell. Drop down the other side into Glen Rosa & contour round right to Rosa Pinnacle.

Or

Straight up Glen Sannox. Bear right at the top of the Glen to the saddle between Cir Mhor & Caisteal Abhail, turn left & skirt Cir Mhor on its right hand side, drop down towards Glen Rosa & contour round left to Rosa Pinnacle.

Or maybe:

Take a look at the weather & decide to stay in the bar of the Sannox Bay Hotel.....
 Robin Woodward 29 Apr 2014
In reply to ClareM.123:
We did this a couple of weeks ago. Although you've got a lot more height gain to do on the walk in (going over the saddle) I recon the path is much better (less boggy) and the walk out was definitely quicker (we'd done the ridge scramble on the other side the day before and walked out down Glen Rosa).

We ended up ditching our bags and racking up at the saddle and then following the contoured climbers path (obvious once you've found it) to the base of the slabs. This also means when you finish the route you can head up over the top and down the ridge to the saddle, which is a nice easy walk off, with some great views. Watch out for the deer, we came across a couple of large groups which were friendly enough, but they blend in pretty well.

Let me know if you're after any beta

(we did the former of the two options above, seemed more direct to us)
Post edited at 13:46
Allan McDonald (Gwydyr MC) 01 May 2014
In reply to ClareM.123:

Hi, we did the Sannox approach last year and contoured round to the right. Walked out down Glen Rosa (Long day with heavy sacks btw). I think Sannox is the nicer way and not as long.

Great route BTW
 victorclimber 01 May 2014
In reply to ClareM.123:

cant think theres much in it really at least if you go Rosa way you can see where you want to be

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...