UKC

Southern Sandstone in the wet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sihills 09 Apr 2018

Southern sandstone in the wet...

Harrisons.

Seriously there are boards all around the site. As soon as you enter the carpark, on approach to the crag. Yet still today, whilst out for a walk, rock soaking wet, it's been raining all morning and there are two pairs of climbers climbing on the rock.

What the f*ck is wrong with someone?

Deep breath. Seriously what is wrong with some people 

Trangia 09 Apr 2018
In reply to sihills:

I hope you had a polite word in their ears to put them straight?

OP sihills 09 Apr 2018
In reply to Trangia:

A word yes. Maybe not that polite. 

Hooo 09 Apr 2018
In reply to sihills:

I was up at Stone Farm a few weeks ago and there were three guys bouldering. I politely suggested that they shouldn't really be doing it. "Yes, but we've come all the way from London". What can you say that doesn't make it obvious you think they are idiots?

I did get them to stick to overhanging stuff at least.

Post edited at 18:34
 Bergen1backer 09 Apr 2018
In reply to sihills:

Just so that I can be assured I'm not going to damage the rock. How long does ss take to dry out typically? 

I'm sure it largely depends on weather but are we talking hours, days, weeks? 

Trangia 09 Apr 2018
In reply to Bergen1backer:

Too many variables :- rainfall, humidity, wind, temperature, trees and vegetation, sun etc.

The surface "skin" of rock tends to dry quite quickly, but unless the underlying rock is also dry, there is still a risk of causing damage. As a rough rule of thumb if it stopped raining today and you have a couple of weeks of warm sunny weather with wind, the rocks may come into condition. One guide is to observe how prevalent seepage is in areas prone to this. If that has dried then it's probably ok, if seepage is still visible it probably isn't. Also if the rock appears to be "sweating" it's not in condition yet.

But far better to err on the safe side and be patient because damage will be permanent and irreversible. A wasted journey and the costs involved is peanuts compared to wrecking a route for ever. If in doubt go for a walk instead, the countryside around is beautiful.

I've been going there now for over 50 years and I reckon that I can make a good assessment based on that experience, but many folk can't.

Dave Garnett 09 Apr 2018
In reply to Trangia:

> I've been going there now for over 50 years 

God, really?  I think I've been twice!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...