UKC

Spanish guidebook phrases

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tehmarks 25 Jul 2013
I've just bought a couple of Spanish guidebooks, and not speaking a word of Spanish I'm having a few issues with some of the climbing-specific words. Does anyone know what the hell these all mean:

Espit (bolt, I gather?), burile, parabolt, clavos, bicoins (nuts?), gancho, chapas?
OP tehmarks 25 Jul 2013
In reply to tehmarks:

Thanks for the link (and sorry for my epic search fail), but the links in that topic are all dead, and I dont have an iPhone to download the app.

Also, what the hell is 'Ae' as a grade? I understand A0->A5, but Ae?
 Eciton 25 Jul 2013
In reply to tehmarks:

Ae is basically A0. Aid moves using fixed gear: bolts, "buriles", pitons. If I am not wrong the "e" stands for "equipado" which mean equipped.
 james1978 25 Jul 2013
In reply to tehmarks: a parabolt is a bolt, a clavo is a piton,chapa is clip... the verb "chapar" is 'to clip'.
Im unsure about the others sorry.
HTH
OP tehmarks 25 Jul 2013
In reply to tehmarks:

Ok, so this is starting to make more sense. Bicoins are nuts, parabolts are bolts, clavos are pitons and gancho apparently translates as hook - presumably in the aid climbing sense of a skyhook or similar. Which just leaves the questions, what the hell is a buril, and what is the difference between a spit/espit, and a parabolt (one of the guidebooks seems to make a distinction)?
 JamieSparkes Global Crag Moderator 26 Jul 2013
In reply to james1978: I believe "chapa" is slang for ringpull and is used as that's what the older bolts look like?

AFAIK a parabolt is a nice new expansion bolt.
 JamieSparkes Global Crag Moderator 26 Jul 2013
In reply to tehmarks: a quick google for "Buriles escalada" brings up what appear to be a load of old rivets that need hangers for.
Wiley Coyote2 26 Jul 2013
In reply to tehmarks:

Chapas are hangers though I'm not sure if that's all hangers or a specific type
 Lesdavmor 26 Jul 2013
In reply to tehmarks:
Burils & spits are basically hand drilled small diameter bolts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...