UKC

Spinal Stenosis

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Justin Shiels 04 Oct 2020

Last October I had problems with back pain and a bit of numbness in my left foot. After an MRI scan the problem was diagnosed as Spinal Stenosis. Since then the numbness has extended and also occurs in the other foot. In an ordinary shoes it feels as if there is a spare sock ruckled up underneath my toes. When climbing my feet "feeling" strange is a minor problem compared to the lack of feedback to my brain. I can put my foot on a hold but get almost no feedback as to how hard it is pressing or moving on the hold.

Just wondering if anyone has had similar problems or advice. In short I've been told that surgery is the only real way of solving the problem.

Thanks

Justin

phizz4 04 Oct 2020
In reply to Justin Shiels:

My wife had this diagnosis in 2011, after suffering years of pain, tingling, numbness and being fobbed off with 'physio' by the Doctors. After an MRI her then Doctor said he was surprised she wasn't in a wheel chair! Anyway, had the surgery, with the caveat that it wasn't always 100% successful. Struggled a bit for the first 6 months afterwards and then found a very good pilates teacher and hasn't looked back since. Her back stands up to gardening, yoga, pilates, walking, cycling better than mine.  She's not a climber but it hasn't stopped her horse riding either. Find a good surgeon.

Martin Hore 04 Oct 2020

Hi Justin.

I posted on this here in 2015 https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/rock_talk/anyone_had_an_operation_for_spi...

Quite a few responses there that may help you. I went for a lumbar decompression operation  - quite serious surgery - late in 2015 and despite a few concerns during the first year I've been climbing and mountaineering since without issues. I'm 70 next month.

One issue which I'd assumed was not connected to the stenosis is that I was subsequently (2016/17) diagnosed with Lymphoedema. I definitely had spinal stenosis - the X rays and MRI scans were conclusive. However, the Lymphoedema continues to give me symptoms, mostly swelling, but others similar to those you describe including some numbness in my legs/feet and the feeling that I've constant puffyness in the ball of my foot (right only at present). It's currently controlled with compression stockings (prescribed) and raising my legs at night, and with these interventions it's never got sufficiently serious to stop me climbing. It took a long time for me to get the Lymphoedema diagnosis - I was referred from pillar to post - but when I did see the right team their verdict was conclusive.

This may be a complete red herring for you but your story makes me think there might possibly be some connection - difficult to understand quite how - between the two conditions. 

Anyway, please do email me if you would like more information from my own experience of the lumbar decompression operation. Since 2015 I've been in regular contact with "Jon" who responded to my earlier post and who has just last week had his own Spinal Stenosis surgery.

Best wishes

Martin

m dunn 04 Oct 2020

I had spinal decompression surgery in June to relieve sciatic symptoms. Any form of walking was deeply uncomfortable without crutches. I can now walk normally and climb again - cycling was never a problem. Running is a problem, but that's a combination of the back and knee issues and may continue to improve. The operation is not designed to relieve back pain however, so everyday activities that involve standing, continue to give serious discomfort. However I can live with that. 

jon 05 Oct 2020

I suffered from back pain and numbness in the front of my left leg for a number of years. Coming from a family riddled with arthritis and having had both hips replaced due to arthritis, it was clear that this was the culprit, reducing the diameter of the spinal canal and also the opening where  (in my case the crural) nerve root exits the spine. Numerous MRIs and some rather unpleasant electrical tests confirmed all of this.

Have you been offered x-ray/scanner guided steroid injections? Over the last four years I've had a total of seven of these, most of which have been 100% successful in relieving all pain and numbness for up to six or seven months at a time. Eventually they will unfortunately cease to be effective (in my case, the 7th didn't work at all) and it's then that you might want to consider surgery. 

I had surgery for spinal stenosis a week ago. To say I'm bitterly disappointed at the outcome would be a huge understatement as I'm in a far worse state than when I walked into the hospital last Monday. If I were you I'd be investigating other treatments and having more exhaustive tests before considering surgery. I realise that sounds rather doom and gloom, and I apologise... maybe ask me again in a couple of months when things might have righted themselves.........

Post edited at 11:54

Anecdotal info J, only from close associates, not personal experience, although I have some foot numbness due to arthritis I presume, but I would be very wary of surgery unless all other options tried - osteopathy, physio, time, pilates, yoga? Frequent massage essential?

Having seen someone after back surgery it looked worse than a bad car crash and in that case not sure it made a blind bit of difference. We are all different however, and many differing back problems from discs to osteoporosis.

Dave

border collie 05 Oct 2020

Hi Justin, 

I suffered similar issues and after different scans and x rays was told that surgery was the only option since my spine resembled that of a much older woman. I am in my fifties and the nerve roots were a mess. I had spinal fusion and decompression at L4 to S1,you don't mention which area of your spine. After the initial shock and pain when the drugs wore off I made good progress. This was in 2016. I don't regret the surgery at all it made a big difference. Unfortunately I have degenerative disease in my spine and last year had a climbing accident and fractured my spine. This was awful but at least all the metal already in there remained in place. I feel really fortunate to be able to climb again and I was very disciplined with the physio and rehab exercises. I also do a lot of yoga and pilates. This is great for the spine.

Best wishes 

Justin.

I had exactly the same problem with increasing severity for over 10 years. A nerve root block eased the symptoms not long after the symptoms appeared but a second one three years ago had no effect. I had tried yoga and physio as advised by the surgeon and gabapentin eased the pain and foot numbness.  Eventually I had decompression surgery a couple of years ago, it sorted the worst of the symptoms but the duration of the problem has left me with some permanent nerve damage and leg muscle imbalance and weakness. My advice is have the surgery and get it fixed asap!

Post edited at 11:22
OP Justin Shiels 06 Oct 2020

Thanks you very much for all those personal stories. Very useful especially when looked at collectively. Any others would be very welcome.

I think I'll just see how things develop in the next 6 months/year and then decide on a course of action.

Thanks again (Hi Trevor!)

Justin

heleno 06 Oct 2020

If you want to see if yoga helps I could do you a one-to-one session tailored for spinal stenosis (presumably lumbar?) when we get back. I guess it will have to be by Zoom or similar for now...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...