UKC

Sports climbing Christmas anywhere in world

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BoulderyDave 18 Sep 2022

We’re after a Christmas month long destination with loads of sports routes in the middle 6’s. We can go anywhere in the world, so recommendations outside of Europe would be great. 

we’ve climbed in Argentina (Piedra Parada) which we really enjoyed. Has anyone been to Krabi recently? How is it for mid 6’s seems to suggest you need to be in the 7’s

very much appreciated and be good to hear people’s dream (sports) destinations 

Iamgregp 18 Sep 2022
In reply to BoulderyDave:

Not exactly a dream trip, but Costa Blanca is pretty much perfect in December… More mid 6’s than you’ll ever get round to climbing too.

Strife 18 Sep 2022

Tenerife or Gran Canaria. Or both!

tjekel 19 Sep 2022

Palermo & San Vito lo Capo, Sicily.

Post edited at 07:05
 heleno 19 Sep 2022

Some suggestions for longer-haul destinations (which I think is what you were asking for?)

Southern Arizona - Mount Lemmon, Cochise Stronghold, The Homestead, and Queens Canyon among others are climbable all year.  There's a fair amount of sport climbing, though you'd get more out of it if you were happy to mix in some trad too.  These can all be done as a road trip from Phoenix.

New Zealand - not the greatest rock destination but you could combine climbing with other activities and sight seeing.  Paynes Ford and the Christchurch crags offer sport climbing on the South Island, and the Wharepapa and Whanganui crags on the (warmer) North Island.

(We've also managed to climb in Australia in January, but I probably wouldn't recommend it - it's pretty hot even in the shade!)

My partner also rates Morrocco as a mid-winter destination, though I haven't been myself.  

Garethza 19 Sep 2022

Montagu, South Africa 

slucas 19 Sep 2022

Geyikbayiri, Turkey

OP BoulderyDave 23 Sep 2022
In reply to heleno:

Awesome. Thank you for taking time out. Not thought of any of those. Super helpful

TheGeneralist 23 Sep 2022
In reply to Strife:

> Tenerife or Gran Canaria. Or both!

Does tenerife have enough  for a month?

Also struggling with the NZ suggestion tbh.  I can think of a few reasons to go to NZ  but sport climbing defo isn't amongst them.

Post edited at 12:55
 McHeath 23 Sep 2022

Thailand´s supposed to be grea and would give you a pretty good CO2 footprint, but there must be equally good places which are even further away.

Kevster 23 Sep 2022
In reply to McHeath:

Isn't there a number of venues through Thailand Laos and Vietnam?

Though Africa and South Africa have stacks of rock. It's not all so developed as some other places, guide books etc. However I'd suggest a great place to explore...  

Think I'd be tempted by America tbh

dagibbs 24 Sep 2022
In reply to Kevster:

El Potrero Chico, Mexico -- lot of routes in the 6s, including many long multi-pitches; generally climbable most-to-all of the month around Christmas (that's the busy season for climbers there), and the Tequila and Margaritas are awesome.

Toby Dunn 24 Sep 2022
In reply to TheGeneralist:

NZ is actually pretty good,  Paynes Ford,  and some good sport climbing around Queenstown and Wanaka. Tonsai and Railay in Thailand would have plenty for a few weeks climbing in the 6s, fun place to be for Christmas too. 

seankenny 24 Sep 2022

A friend of mine was a solid mid-upper 6s climber. He went to Hueco Tanks for six weeks one winter, climbing in bright fresh sunshine on super high quality rock, and came back a solid mid-7s climber. Obviously Hueco has some access issues that make this harder nowadays, but other winter US bouldering areas are available.

Everyone says Las Vegas is also great for winter rock climbing and it’s easier to fly to than El Paso…

I went to Thailand for quick visit one Christmas time and really didn’t rate it. Terrible conditions (very hot and sweaty), tedious apres climbing, a bit littered and messy. Perhaps amazing either twenty years ago or if you are twenty-something.

Post edited at 10:18
 Strife 24 Sep 2022
In reply to TheGeneralist:

I went for 2 weeks and it felt like I barely scratched the surface. And then I also went to Gran Canaria a few weeks later and was equally blown away by the quality and the variety of the sport climbing. The Canaries are underrated in my opinion. Lots of great bouldering too. And perfect weather in winter!

Martgib 29 Sep 2022

Waterval Boven (South Africa) absolutely blew our minds. I'm sure you wouldn't regret it. Just check what the weather trends are for that time of year.

dagibbs 04 Oct 2022
In reply to Martgib:

> Waterval Boven (South Africa) absolutely blew our minds. I'm sure you wouldn't regret it. Just check what the weather trends are for that time of year.

Waterval Boven has some astounding climbing, too.  But I'd be worried about it being too hot in December.  I was there in (late) March, and it was quite warm.

Post edited at 04:20

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...